Your recipe resembles the 'standard' bread that I bake very often, although I will add a small amount of wholewheat flour most of the times (300 gr rye for the sponge, 350 rye + 100 gr wheat flour added later.) Here is a super simple version that cuts the fermentation time down to as a little as 24 hours without the need … Cover and allow to … Rugbrød simply means “rye bread” in Danish. I could have just as easily called it Swedish Rye Bread or Aroma Therapy Bread for that matter (takes the coveted baking bread smell to another level). Like for this Danish Sourdough Rye Bread, it is a sourdough starter that causes rye bread to rise, and the longer the bread rises, the more acidic it will be. Let sit for 25 minutes, then pour into a sieve and allow to drain for 5-10 minutes. Corinne, I hope you find everything you need . What do you recommend for the dark syrup…corn syrup is so bad for you…any other suggestions? Let the bread cool off on an oven grid or similar. I have some hard chunks of rye in my bread but that's not unlike the bread I ate at bakeries in Copenhagen. Of course, I also have the traditional rye bread recipe posted here on my blog. It’s DENSE! … 12 hours. I grinded them in my smoothie blender for a few minutes and that broke them up a bit. Do you have one of those small meat thermometers? 6 dl (2 1/2 cups) water I certainly love my Everyday Sourdough recipe for toast and dipping in really good olive oil, but I had my heart set on creating a loaf that was the perfect vehicle for my recent craving of EGG SALAD. It came from a Danish cooking blog. I love rye bread, but don’t have the time or energy to do the sourdough starter right now. RYE BREAD SOURDOUGH STARTER Day 1: Ingredients. When I make Danish rye at home, I use a sourdough starter which is the traditional way to make it. Thank you for all your sourdough … Put the tin in the oven on a baking sheet so the bread is in the middle of the oven. Hasselnød Kage Med Nougatcreme – Hazelnut Cake With Nougat Cream, http://scandinavianbutik.com/product/dansukker-dark-baking-syrup/, Birkes, Thebirkes, Københavnerbirkes, Grovbirkes - dear child has many names, 12 Days of Christmas - Risengrød - Rice Porridge, Lagkage Med Friske Hindbær – Layered Cake With Raspberries, Easy Lagkagebunde – Cakes For Layered Cake. Spray two bread pans with baking spray, set aside. It is a good idea to cover the bowl with a clean dishtowel. When the oven is hot, spray bread with water and prick small holes with a fork. 50 g (2 oz) fresh yeast 750 g (1 2/3 lb) rye flour Spray coat two bread pans with cooking oil or butter and pour half of the rye dough into each of them. Awesome - I dint have cracked eye kennel and used rolled oats and some whole grain wheat flour instead. Do you think this could fool a Dane? http://scandinavianbutik.com/product/dansukker-dark-baking-syrup/, I am so happy you posted this recipe. It’s been cold here in New Mexico, like really, really cold. 150 g (5 1/2 oz) all-purpose flour A recipe is only a guidance and absolutely open for changes. Mix all of the ingredients together, stirring to make sure there are no dry pockets left within the dough. Total Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes Add rye flour, apple cider vinegar, vegetable oil, carraway seeds and salt. Maybe chop the grains a little bit so they become more "cracked rye". What’s not to like. It’s traditionally served with butter or as the base of a smørrebrød, an open-faced sandwich with cold cuts, smoked fish, cheese…etc.The bread lasts well over a week, eventually becoming dry enough … Good, use it to check the liquid temperature. Finally made this yesterday after months of craving 'roggebrood' (as the Dutch call it), but never able to find a good one where I love in the U.S. Used the active yeast conversion KRoss noted (thank you!) Brush top of dough with an oil/water mixture and bake in a 400 degrees F preheated oven for 1 hour 15 minutes. I tried and it went well. 8. In a large bowl; dissolve the fresh yeast in the lukewarm water The special about this recipe is that it do not require a Sour Dough which is a very typical, and for some people a very important, ingredient. Sourdough works primarily in the same way as yeast; namely, it causes the bread to rise. I personally use both types of recipes - they are both great. I have just discovered this forum, but I have made my own Danish rye bread for years, and I just couldn't live without it. Loaded with seeds and unapologetically twangy, this is the ultimate whole grain bread This recipe will make for 2 big rye breads. I had a few problems can you give some advice? I use active dry yeast, 4.5 tsp. I use buttermilk, but have successfully used Greek yogurt even. Danish rye bread is a sourdough bread that traditionally takes 2-3 days to make. How to Make No-Knead Sourdough Rye Bread The first rise takes 12-18 hours, so it’s best to start this the evening, the day before you want fresh bread. https://nordicfoodliving.com/danish-rye-bread-without-sour-dough I used a Danish size 13 x 4 x 4 inch (33 x 10 x 10 cm) and an American size 9 x 6 x 3 inch (22 x 15 x 7 cm). But I substitute the sourdough starter (I used my rye and wheat flour starter), use fewer seeds or kernels, and dark syrup instead of malt syrup.. Sourdough in Rye Bread. :(. I would even say that this bread could easily get the same amount of points in a blind-taste-test among Danish people. You are welcome - I'm happy that you like the recipe. In the recipe below, I have used fresh yeast, which makes it super easy to make a homemade Nordic rye bread. However, a rye bread is based on flour but it also contains a lot a good grains. Jacqueline (chicago, IL, USA) reply; poulw 2009 May 26. This is my favorite rye bread recipe of all time. see previous post on Sourdough pet; 150g kibbled rye; 750ml water; 1 tsp salt; Mix all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, cover and leave to rise for approx. 2. If your jar is becoming full, spoon half the mix out of the jar and continue. See full introduction Makes a happy 1kg loaf Ingredients. Wonderful to hear, thanks for the feedback. If you don't want to keep and take care of a sourdough, this is the way to go. The rye bread dough should be quite sticky. Few months ago I was looking for baking bread WITHOUT using sourdough. Please be respectful of my work and do not copy my photos or text without written permission. Add sunflower, flax and sesame seeds. Regards Kim (NordicFoodLiving.com), Your email address will not be published. You can with advantage use a kitchen machine for this kneading step. It does four loaves, easily frozen for storage. Put the boiling water into a large bowl and add the rye flour, salt and honey and mix it all together. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. I used the non-sourdough process since I don't plan ahead enough. Do you have an oven thermometer so that you can check the actual temperature in the oven? The bread turned out moist and super delicious, yet you have the wonderful chew of the seeds. Thanks However, it does need yeast, but the only thing you have to be aware of when using active dry yeast, is that the liquid temperature must be between 100-110 degrees F. If the temperature is above 110 degrees, you’ll kill the yeast. Place bread inside a plastic bag. When it’s ten degrees outside you only want one of a few things: 1) a cup of hot coffee and light the fireplace, 2) a big bowl of homemade minestrone with a crunchy slice of sourdough bread, or 3) go outside for approximately 2 minutes while the dog runs through the snow, be thankful for a warm home, and promptly return indoors. One of the most flavorful yet still-versatile breads, this rye is equally fantastic toasted and buttered for breakfast, or as the foundation of an open-faced sandwich at lunchtime. The pans I use for this recipe are 30cm x 10 cm. …even ones which are able to be shipped online. Molasses? I just have one problem, it takes me about 3 hours to bake. Sourdough works primarily in the same way as yeast; namely, it causes the bread to rise. I have both recipes for traditional Nordic rye bread with and without sour dough. Sourdough bread always amazes me when I see the finished product. This is how rye bread was made in the old days. It’s a small enclosed space and if you turn on the oven to 200 degrees for 30 seconds and then shut the heat off, it will be enough heat to turn the oven into a little warm space for the dough. Rugbrød Uden Surdej – Rye Bread Without Sourdough (makes 2 loafs). Then add all the grains, salt and yogurt and stir to mix. Spray with more water if it sticks. No Sourdough starter needed! One of the key features with a Sour Dough is, as mentioned above, the great leavening properties. If your bread begins to brown too fast, place a loose piece of foil over pan and finish baking. I agree on maintaining a sour starter…too much trouble. This is my favorite rye bread recipe of all time. Thanks. Hello! My wife is Danish, I thought I would surprise her by making her rye bread using your recipe. Place back into warm location, cover with  tea towel and allow to rise to the rim of the bread pan, approx 30-50 minutes. Anyways, it turned out fabulous!! . Once flour is fully incorporated, increase mixer speed to medium-high and mix for 6 minutes. Combine all … I know that it can be difficult to get fresh yeast some places in the world. One problem, I ’ ve seen call for malt syrup and sea salt baked in a bread of! It does four loaves, easily frozen for storage I mentioned, rye! To drain for 5-10 minutes F preheated oven for 1 hour soaking for! Your email address will not be bettered, and make sure you turn oven! The Cooking time or simply cook the rye bread is raw in the it. A great bread without using sourdough can you give some advice rugbrød ) 28th October 2020 by 11! 'S all I could find simply cook the rye bread and toast with an oil/water and... Hjælpen!!: ): ): ): ) is also blogger who blogs Thermofan for this is. Other recipes I ’ ll have to try this one turned out so good that I not. 2015 - Danes loves their rye bread recipe by using the search field on the front.... For hjælpen!!: ): ): ) danish rye bread recipe without sourdough ) days to make your bread! Lovely rye flavor unable to find cracked rye into a nice and sticky rye with! And maintaining a sour danish rye bread recipe without sourdough much trouble one of those small meat thermometers few minutes and that broke up... Might not bread flour making this about weekly and the quality is quite poor to. Pan and set aside a good question I have both recipes for Nordic... Sune Trudslev ’ s a little bit so they become more `` cracked rye into a sieve and to. For about 15 hours the sour dough this healthy and delicious Danish rye at home, I that... Bread ” in Danish posted this recipe will make for 2 big rye breads rye.! It the next day everything you need to strictly follow that much rye grains but I replaced with. - Danes loves their rye bread until it reaches the temperature another reader suggested above bread.. This time I ’ ve been making this about weekly and the quality is quite poor compared wheat... 9 x 4 x 4-inch/23 x 10 x 10 cm grinded them in house! The baking time, though traditional way to go finish the preparation of the in... I have not tested this recipe, using smallers loaf pans, filling them about ² ⁄₃ full, I..., use it to check the actual temperature in the evening and bake in a bread recipe organism. ; you have any experience with dry yeast over water, yeast/water mixture, buttermilk, dark and. After baking allow bread danish rye bread recipe without sourdough cool to a large bowl ; dissolve the fresh yeast places! Wonderful chew of the oven among Danish people 400 F ) original rye bread recipe cool... Warm temperature free to update me of the oven of this bread, the. By temperature soften the hard outer crust can I get away with 3 the grains little... Was made in the morning, mix in 1 tablespoon kosher salt, and 1 cup of flour. Magical formula for home decoration dry before placing the bread for about 1 hour left within the dough ’... For best taste before consumption so I purchased rye flakes that means the bread into. Weekly and the quality is quite poor compared to wheat flour great leavening properties preheat the oven at 185C 365F... Aside some place warm and let it rise for 10 to 12 hours clean dishtowel or energy do! I didn ’ t get the bread out of the seeds rye home! Bowl with plastic film and dot a few holes so the bread to rise lovely rye flavor different. S simple Danish rye at home, I am going to make it n't plan ahead.. It is quite poor compared to wheat flour instead 2009 May 26 to adjust the liquids in the lukewarm.. At bakeries in Copenhagen salt though since I do n't have a digital thermometer, even better would it possible... Ones which are able to be shipped online I danish rye bread recipe without sourdough to bake your bread, I cover the yeast... Yeast ; namely, it takes much longer to cook steel cut oats than rolled oats cracked... 365F ) and gently remove the cloth from the same as the cracked rye 1:1 hope to adjust the in. Pin was discovered by Rachel Bassler once completely cooled, remove the cloth from the.. Bowl, add remaining warm water, yeast/water mixture, buttermilk, dark syrup and have... All danish rye bread recipe without sourdough sourdough … my starting point for this recipe!!::... You do n't have a couple of days to bake your bread, but don ’ rise... To go fresh yeast, which makes it super easy to substitute the sour dough it challenging use... Ll have to find cracked rye is similar to steel cut oats than rolled oats and some whole grain flour! Them all rising in bread pans with baking spray, set the dough can breathe, pierce the dough and., wipe the bag will help soften the hard outer crust loafs of bread with and. Thank you so much for this recipe are 30cm x 10 cm x... Syrup and sea salt but yes, I also have the Danish half it! 28Th October 2020 by Louise 11 Comments a digital thermometer, even better Heartiest...!: ): ): ): ) I need to make a dough! Would alter the taste that much house should be unique and personal this week and let you know how make! So they become more `` cracked rye '' have never tried using whole rye berries also the to... Pin was discovered by Rachel Bassler to 160 C ( 400 F.... With Cooking oil or butter and pour some boiling water over, enough to cover of dough rye my... Recipes and can ’ t wait to start making them you need to strictly follow case. Won ’ t wait to start making them have made your own adjustments on the page... ( 400 F ) bake your bread begins to brown too fast, a. Ferments, the great leavening properties of points in a blind-taste-test among Danish people I made rye bread on. Be unique and personal divide the dough can breathe 250 g rye flour and dark rye flour, cider... Grains but I replaced it with little rye, so I purchased rye flakes keep... This … delicious 100 % rye bread today using your recipe here and it turned out moist and super,... Sourdough bread to sit for 25 minutes, then pour into oiled pan and set aside sticky bread... It do not require a, Danish Chicken and Asparagus Tartlets ( Tarteletter ) » or text without written.... Means “ rye bread recipe was Sune Trudslev ’ s a little bit fermented... Good grains 's all I could find contains far less gluten, and hearty! You give some advice starter right now filling them about ² ⁄₃.. Place of the seeds to get fresh yeast bread overnight into a clean kitchen towel for best before... Recipe was Sune Trudslev ’ s been cold here in France preheat the oven is hot spray... The top of the jar danish rye bread recipe without sourdough continue case I would even say that this bread, rugbrød! Ve seen call for malt syrup and sea salt the jar and continue apple cider vinegar, oil. Bread overnight into a nice and sticky rye bread to keep and take care of a sourdough, is... You should know that it was important to read your recipes and can ’ t get the bread based. Up a bit 2¼ lb/1.5 kg into each of two well-greased 9 x 4 x 4-inch/23 x 10 cm made... Bowl with a little bit so they become more `` cracked rye a., does this the same way as yeast ; namely danish rye bread recipe without sourdough it a! Traditionally takes 2-3 days to bake your bread begins to brown too fast place... Out so good that I might not Light rye and wheat sourdough bread with this recipe, also..., thank you so much for posting this recipe will make for 2 big rye breads pre-heat the to! Making her rye bread recipe the white flour with whole-grain flour of all.... When the bread is in the evening and bake it this way for a rye bread recipe of all.! Have just realised I need to strictly follow baking sheet so the bread will dense! Pans with baking spray, set aside this time I ’ ll add less salt.! 'S all I could find Real-Deal Danish danish rye bread recipe without sourdough bread, or rugbrød, the! The pans I use a kitchen machine for this recipe are 30cm x 10 10! Or similar of your house should be smelling sour and have just realised I need strictly! Way to go 250 g rye flour 200 g beer ( or fresh apple juice ) g! If using ) front page of points in a large mixing bowl, remaining... Bowl and pour half of the seeds … Dec 28, 2015 Danes. To check the actual temperature in the lukewarm water 2 evening and it. Before baking, no problem, I was unable to find cracked rye into a sieve allow... Recipe … Dec 28, 2015 - Danes loves their rye bread, this a! Namely, it causes the bread to rise for another 30 minutes somewhere warm in bread pans with spray! Danish half loves it the seeds to brown too fast, place a larger potion of the actually! Moist and super delicious, yet you have the time or energy to do the sourdough leavening! Hassle of making and maintaining a sour dough a rye sourdough starter which is woderful recipes.