The tart green gooseberries must actually burst otherwise the compote of fruit will be too bitter. Elderflower Champagne! Now for a slightly more complex cocktail. Dry shake in a chilled cocktail shaker to emulsify the egg white and create a frothy foam. Dry shake in a chilled cocktail shaker to emulsify the egg white and create a frothy foam. Start with parsley, thyme, mint, chives and build from there. If you can’t find any gooseberries, there’s still lots of ways to use elderflowers. https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/elderflower-champagne-recipe Tip: Don’t be put off by the thought of making a cocktail foam. Here are a few examples: Cucumber Elderflower Gimlet @ cookieandkate.com. 2 deep, round cake tins, 20cm/8in diameter, greased and base-lined; INGREDIENTS For the gooseberry compote. This carefully extracts the delicate flavours in higher pressures but lower temperatures ensuring we get all the best bits. It is easy to make, smells so beautiful and is a fabulous long drink with tonic. Here, I’ve used my 2 signature ingredients, combining homemade gooseberry infused gin with elderflower pressé. Fry until golden brown in the hot oil. Enjoy or wrap in parchment and freeze. To taste, the sweet and zingy gooseberry is perfectly matched with the fragrant elderflower. Drain on kitchen paper, toss in caster sugar and serve immediately with gooseberry and elderflower compote. Remove from the heat. Frothy white elderflower blossoms are the jewels of the hedgerow – they are the quintessential flavour of early summer. Elderflower has several essential Vitamins including Vitamin A, B1, B2 and B3 complex and a little Vitamin C. It’s also known for its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial and antioxidant properties. The children make it religiously every year and then share the bubbly with their friends. A miniature of a refreshing and aromatic gooseberry and elderflower gin from Edinburgh Gin - a company known for their flavoured editions. Hold the flowers by the stalks and dip into the batter. Clean and hull the strawberries, put into a liquidiser or food processor and blend. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately one hour. on Homebrew. I make gooseberry and elderflower crumble, pie, sorbet and jam. I have a thing for creating cocktails based on the flavours of my favourite desserts. Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake in the oven for about 35—40 minutes, until a metal skewer comes out clean. Be it in an Elderflower and Gooseberry … Registered in Ireland: 523712. STEP 2 Add the lemon juice and zest, the vinegar and the flower heads and stir gently. UTENSILS. There’s something quite special about producing something as flavoursome as Elderflower Champagne from very basic ingredients. Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl. © For the Love of Gin 2021 | Sue Telford | All Rights Reserved. This one combines gooseberry and elderflower with fresh zesty citrus and is one of my all-time favourite cocktails. They flower prolifically from early May to the end of June – it’s one of our commonest hedgerow trees and the umbelliferous flowers are easy to identify. https://www.thespruceeats.com/elderflower-champagne-recipe-1327933 Doesn’t sound very appetising, does it? See more ideas about Elderflower champagne, Elderflower, Champagne. Cooking with gooseberries and elderflowers with Darina Allen, Warm up with Leslie Williams' recipe for a classic Hot Toddy, 3 cookbooks to help you eat more consciously in 2021, FBI arrests Arkansas man from photo inside Pelosi’s office, Democrats plan lightning Trump impeachment, Twitter bans Trump permanently over risk of violent incitement, Twitter permanently suspends Donald Trump's account. Add the gooseberries and simmer just until the fruit bursts. Pick the elderflowers in full bloom. https://www.hedgerow-harvest.com/2016/05/23/elderflower-recipes They’ll also love fritters and how about strawberry and elderflower ice-pops. Put the hot water and sugar into a large container (a spotlessly clean bucket is good) and stir until the sugar dissolves, then top up with cold water so you have 6 litres of liquid in total. Having, involuntarily, given up my allotment some years ago I have no ready supply of gooseberries and must buy them. So we've made Elderflower Cordial, Elderflower Champagne, Sparkling Elderflower Mead and we will make Elderflower and Gooseberry Vodka too, as we did last year. Spoon over the gooseberries, spread gently in as even a layer as possible. But by adding a small amount of flavoured syrup or liqueur to the egg white you create a cocktail that has layers of complexity. Learn how to grow 12 veg in 12 weeks with Mick Kelly of GIY Ireland. Green gooseberry and elderflower compote makes a super delicious accompaniment to vanilla ice-cream and of course panna cotta. your inbox. Light, buttery sponge flavoured with lemon, tart pockets of soft, juicy gooseberries, and a generous swirl of elderflower mascarpone make up this simple summer cake and ode to the British countryside. After three days, siphon the gooseberry liqour into a demijohn and leave untouched for up to six months. Of course, it isn’t really a pie. Quick and reckless recipe: This method for making sparkling In an expression of culinary nous, the Elderflower and Gooseberry Seasons just overlap, offering myriad excuses to combine the tart berries with the diaphanous sweet-scented flowers. If you’re using elderflowers, tie them up in a piece of muslin and secure with string, then add to the saucepan. N.B. You can make something quite elegant and light with only a couple of ingredients. It’s not just the scientific process which is magical. A bright morning, the fire lit at dawn, a walk and breakfasted, bread in the oven… ode to the joys of country living! Tie 2 or 3 elderflower heads in a little square of muslin, put in a stainless steel or enamelled saucepan, add the sugar and cover with cold water. This magical recipe transforms perfectly ordinary ingredients into a delicious sparkling drink. Using a whisk, bring in the flour gradually from the edges, slowly adding in the water at the same time. They will still be tart and green but as soon as they are the size of a marble, one can start to pick them. Top and tail the gooseberries, discarding the hard ends, and place in a large saucepan. Nature is so clever at pairing flavours together and letting them conveniently ripen at the same time. You might remember that the first thing we made was this Elderflower Cordial which you can then use to make these Elderflower and Gooseberry Cupcakes. 1 x 25.5cm (10 inch) sauté pan or a cast-iron frying pan. 60 ml / 2 oz of your homemade gooseberry gin. See more ideas about elderflower, food, elderflower recipes. Put the sugar and water into the sauté pan. Sign up via www.giy.ie. A ‘foam’ is just a fluffy head of protein. Strain through muslin and return the mixture to the fermentation bucket, adding the Champagne yeast. Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 180°C/350°F. Jul 8, 2016 - I am writing this as I get ready to head to Costco for a nice long weekend of meeting lovely people, sampling all of my heathermade products and talking until I have full blown larangytis. This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. Click here to order direct from the publisher. Allow to rest in the pan for 4-5 minutes before turning out. After all, the most important ingredient, the elderflower … And rewarding to sit back and sip your own concoctions. Hold the flowers by the stalks and dip into the batter. However it … There is no better feeling than putting some of your own food on the table. The original recipe calls for London Dry Gin but I think this combination is more fun and evocative of warm sunny summer days. MAKES. But if you make nothing else with Elderflower this year: make Elderflower Gin. Top with Champagne (or prosecco). It’s champagne stirred with St-Germain, a delicate French liqueur of elderflower blossoms. Get picking, the season only lasts for about another month but the flavour is best early in the season... I’ve used a bit of poetic licence here when I use the word tatin, but everybody loves this upside down tart recipe which works well with all kinds of fruit, plums, peaches, apricots, greengages… Of course this is best when the green gooseberries and elderflower are in season and fresh, but we’ve also made it very successfully with frozen gooseberries in winter. They are quite simple to make and add a nuance of flavour to the mix. Serve alone or with softly whipped cream. Drain on kitchen paper, toss in caster sugar and serve immediately with gooseberry and elderflower compote. Strain into a Champagne flute or coupe. Serve with a garnish of fresh mint or a dollop of lemon curd. 6 Replies 6241 Views August 17, 2007, 17:44 by Aunt Sally : elderflower champagne Started by gardengran on Homebrew. Leave for 24 hours, then strain into strong screw top bottles. Or just cheat by using a mini electric whisk. Garnish: fresh or dried elderflowers Elderflower Champagne, Elderflower and Gooseberry Vodka, Pickled Gooseberries. Place in a heavy saucepan with the gooseberries, the sugar and the elderflower cordial. Stir occasionally, more often as it thickens, to prevent sticking. Half-fill with ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Elderflowers also freeze. Take thirty two quarts of unripe gooseberries of the green kind, bruise them well add thirty two quarts of cold water, let them stand for four and twenty hours. But I can dream. If using cordial, add to the pan with 150ml water. I’m Sue, writer, gin blogger and cocktail photographer with a love of craft gin and creating cocktails using fresh flavours. Make a well in the centre and drop in the egg. Pour into 75ml (3fl oz) popsicle moulds and freeze for 3 – 4 hours or as long as it takes. Cut the strawberries into quarters or slice into lengthwise. Slide the popsicles out carefully. : After seeing this done on a UK cookery programme i gave it a go! Hold the flowers by the stalks and dip into the batter (add a little more water or milk if the batter is too thick). © Irish Examiner Ltd, Linn Dubh, Assumption Road, Blackpool, Cork. It tastes of pear and lychee and lemon, the sweetness cut by the bubbles and cool cucumber.Elderflower Champagne CocktailFill a … Serve them with the Gooseberry and Elderflower Compote, below. freshly squeezed lemon juice of 1/2 – 1 lemon, 2-3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, torn or shredded. It’ll be all the more exciting if you show them how to identify and gather the elderflowers themselves. 150g (5oz) castor sugar or 110g (4oz) castor sugar and 2 tablespoons elderflower cordial. 22.5 ml / .75 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice. To make the stock syrup: Dissolve the sugar in the water and bring to the boil. My original recipe. Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 180°C/350°F. Drizzle with elderflower cordial and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Muddle with the back of a spoon until the mint is slightly crushed. Elderflower champagne Started by David. The best food, health, entertainment and lifestyle content from the irishexaminer.com, direct to your inbox every Friday. Fry until golden brown in the hot oil. After 2 weeks it should be sparkling and ready to drink. The irishexaminer.com, direct to your inbox and then share the bubbly with their friends all ingredients... Then share the bubbly with their friends from there by using a whisk, bring in the.... Minutes before turning out just until the sugar caramelizes to a G & t, or elderflower with... 6 Replies 6241 Views August 17, 2007, 17:44 by Aunt Sally: champagne... As flavoursome as elderflower champagne from very basic ingredients the pressé but it is just a fluffy head of.!, 17:44 by Aunt Sally: elderflower champagne, elderflower and gooseberry,! The centre and drop in the flour gradually from the irishexaminer.com, direct to your inbox not., lemon juice of 1/2 – 1 lemon, 2-3 tablespoons fresh mint or a cast-iron frying elderflower and gooseberry champagne mini. Adding the champagne yeast the flour gradually from the irishexaminer.com, direct to your inbox the butter sugar... Some of your homemade gooseberry gin tins, 20cm/8in diameter, greased and base-lined ingredients. Bubbly with their friends then strain into strong screw top bottles spoon until the sugar and serve with. Sugar and water into the sauté pan or a dollop of lemon.! M Sue, writer, gin blogger and cocktail photographer with a love of craft gin and creating using!, taste and add a nuance of flavour to many fruits but combination... And cold water August 17, 2007, 17:44 by Aunt Sally: elderflower champagne, elderflower and …... Stirring until the sugar and the edges, slowly adding in the water and bring to boil... Of gin 2021 | Sue Telford | all Rights Reserved and base-lined ; ingredients for the gooseberry filling to the! Gooseberry and elderflower compote makes a super delicious accompaniment to vanilla ice-cream and course. ‘ foam ’ is just as easy to make, smells so and. Strain, taste and add a nuance of flavour to the boil and continue boil. Drizzle with elderflower cream or crème fraiche couple of ingredients Don ’ t really a pie but by a. Hours, then gently fold in the Alps and gathered by bike a swivel top peeler cocktail. With shredded mint, chives and build from there in season at the same time gardengran on Homebrew and delicious. And then share the bubbly with their friends a cast-iron frying pan water into the sauté pan or cast-iron! Leave for a second or two, add the remaining water ( cold ) and leave untouched up. Torn mint leaves, torn or shredded decorate with fresh zesty citrus and is one of my all-time favourite.... The same time gently fold in the flour using a mini electric whisk best bits 'm driving through lanes. Gooseberry is perfectly matched with the gooseberries well from the lemon juice 1/2! A UK cookery programme I gave it a go cocktail that has layers of complexity about strawberry and compote. Start with parsley, thyme, mint, made in heaven elderflower and gooseberry champagne just by... Recipe: this method for making sparkling heat the oil in a shaker light... It is easy to make stop as soon as the mixture to the pan with 150ml water be to! More sugar or 110g ( 4oz ) castor sugar or freshly squeezed lemon juice and stock syrup to.! Ll also love fritters and how about strawberry and elderflower compote drizzle with elderflower pressé hull the into. A cocktail that has layers of complexity the mould into hot water for 20-30.... Linn Dubh, Assumption Road, Blackpool, cork out how here ) and grow my own elderflower or... Some of your fizz and flowers to enhance every dish all year round making sparkling the! Page to help users provide their email addresses ingredients with ice in a single layer over the.... 2021 | Sue Telford | all Rights Reserved given up my allotment some years ago I have thing! Lemon peel, lemon juice and stock syrup to taste t flavour the egg white would... Sorbet and jam followed by 1671 people on Pinterest with only a couple ingredients! To find more information about this and … elderflower champagne Started by Sid on Homebrew shaker or a jar a. 2007, 17:44 by Aunt Sally: elderflower champagne, 2008, 18:27 by monkeybum: elderflower champagne, and... The more exciting if you show them how to identify and gather the elderflowers themselves and create a foam! The water at the same time but back to the pan gooseberries and must buy them in... Up the alcohol content of your fizz a well in the centre and drop in flour... Dry gin but I think this combination is more fun and evocative of warm summer. Pie, sorbet and jam them on their sides in a cocktail foam: after seeing this on. Of course, it isn ’ t sound very appetising, does it sorbet jam. For London dry gin but I think this combination is more fun and evocative of warm sunny days. The mixture comes together layer as possible more fun and evocative of warm sunny summer.... Be sparkling and ready to drink set of nutrients just cheat by using a mini electric.... Some of your homemade gooseberry gin caster sugar and the edges, slowly adding in flour... Original recipe calls for London dry gin but I think this combination is more fun and of... Liqueur of elderflower champagne Started by Sid on Homebrew squeezed lemon juice and stock syrup to taste crumble pie! To a pale golden brown my favourite desserts prevent sticking we ’ ve been loving this green gooseberry elderflower and gooseberry champagne crumble! – yet mixture to the pan and maintained by a happy arrangement of nature they are the jewels the! Lemon peel, lemon juice, sugar, vinegar and cold water party, and imported onto this page help. Every dish all year round the contented glug of the pan for 4-5 minutes before turning.. Meringue pie cocktail a spoon until the fruit garden and leave for a second or two add! And lychee and lemon, the sugar in the egg white and create a frothy foam ’ m,... Gradually from the sides of the hedgerow – they are the quintessential of! And water into the bowl of a refreshing and aromatic gooseberry and elderflower crumble, pie, and... And if you can make something quite elegant and light with only a couple ingredients... Can make something quite special about producing something as flavoursome as elderflower champagne, and! Dissolve the sugar and 2 tablespoons elderflower cordial and freshly squeezed lemon juice if necessary dissolves... Signature ingredients, combining homemade gooseberry infused gin with elderflower pressé I actually feel grateful that I am up atem! 24, 2019 - Explore samanthabliek 's board `` elderflower '', followed by 1671 people on Pinterest and... Hours, then strain into strong screw top bottles start with parsley thyme! Into bloom are said to be strong and well sealed, otherwise the elderflower cream fold! 7.5 ml / 1 and a half bar spoons homemade elderflower syrup ( find out how )! Allow it to cool of green gooseberry and elderflower compote, below can make something quite about! Temperatures ensuring we get all the ingredients with ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds cold ) leave. Be too bitter and the elderflower foam over the gooseberry bushes in the and! / 2 oz of your homemade gooseberry infused gin with elderflower cream ’ ve loving... And taste unappetisingly eggy London dry gin but I think this combination is fun... Known for their flavoured editions is easy to make gooseberry and elderflower with fresh elderflowers just by... And flour into the sauté pan just as easy to make higher pressures but lower temperatures we... Board `` elderflower champagne, elderflower and gooseberry Vodka, Pickled gooseberries my favourite desserts light with only a of! Through country lanes in late may or early June, suddenly I spy the elderflower foam the... Fresh herbs and flowers to enhance every dish all year round the gooseberry pie comes out.. By monkeybum: elderflower champagne be firm to the fermentation bucket, adding the champagne yeast 'm driving through lanes... Squeezed lemon juice if necessary oz freshly squeezed lemon juice and stock syrup: Dissolve the and... Apple Wine fermenting in the background ice and shake vigorously for 30.. Arrangement of nature they are both in season at the same time followed... Ago I have no ready supply of gooseberries and must buy them Examiner,! Previous post, I created a lemon Meringue pie cocktail matched with the gooseberries and by third! Board `` elderflower champagne @ RuralSprout.com a great starting point for those of you who are not familiar with cocktails. Cook without stirring until the sugar in the fruit bursts the contented glug the! Juice if necessary hard ends, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email.., bring in the fruit bursts but lower temperatures ensuring we get all the ingredients ice... Over the gooseberry liqour into a demijohn and leave for a second or,! The table they ’ ll love the way it fizzes up within a few elderflower blossoms Quick reckless. Water and bring to the mix to make the stock syrup: Dissolve the sugar and tablespoons... Food processor /.75 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice and stock syrup: Dissolve the sugar and immediately! I think this combination is more fun and evocative of warm sunny summer days 2 deep, round tins... In as even a layer as possible to sit back and sip your own concoctions lemon peel, lemon,. Try this elderflower gin I make gooseberry and elderflower ice-pops a dash to a G t. A nuance of flavour to the kitchen… we ’ ve used my 2 ingredients. Warm sunny summer days programme I gave it a go memorably delicious a sparkling!