We also run some Bison, which would seem to behave like a cow/steerhide, but it's quite different. Horses are reared in smaller groups and receive a higher level of care compared to cows, so their skin is generally free of blemishes or damage which allows tanneries to produce a top quality leather that has a super-fine grain and smooth hand. As nouns the difference between horsehide and cowhide is that horsehide is hide of a horse while cowhide is (countable) a hide of a cow. The Horsehide almost seem magnetic as was described to me by a user. Crossbreed doesn’t properly finish their edges anyway, just cut rivet and ship. It's difficult for an amateur to tell them apart until shown samples of each. It integrates a moisture barrier… I live in Florida, so I know heat and humidity. On a well waxed leather piece water will bead up and run off (for a while – LOL). Lucas Ever. One major difference between a cow/steerhide and a calfskin is the appearance of the grain, which tends to be finer on calf. Most of the time it is naturally darker so when dyed it will be darker than a cowhide item of the same color. The horsefront, the strip, and the shells. Yeah, I don’t think it’s really a problem, just something to be aware of. Strops come in a lot of different leather types' cowhide, horsehide, horse shell, kangaroo, bison, pigskin, etc. Feb 28, 2010 #3. It's also thinner, but tougher so it will feel very different. Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next > Feb 9, 2007 #1. The hides also have more natural wrinkles and striations due to the ruggedness of the animal. Cow and buffalo hides are similar in strength and elasticity; both are the strongest of easily obtainable animal hides, and do not stretch easily, which make them a good choice for upholstery, shoes, or bags. If the construction is rough-side towards the body there is little you can do to correct that situation. There are other differences as well. Jason and Chris specifically commented that they wanted to hear more about Aero and/or their horsehide jackets. The majority of what we run here is cowhide. The Horsehide tends to remain stiff over a longer period of time and hold it's form, even under sweat and humidity. Joined: Oct 16, 2014 Location: Western Suburbs of Illinois. - Bullhide - these tend to be larger and heavier hides, with heavily wrinkled shoulders. In the closeup above, the difference in grain appearance is very noticeable. Awesome thanks! Crossbreed Supertuck Cowhide Vs Horsehide. Yeah, I’ll have to do that. Horsehide is a luxury leather often hailed as the all-rounder for its durability and handsome aesthetic. This would also be far more costly to make, which is probably why it isn’t being done. Can I suggest checking-out the N82 Tactical Professional series. Cow/steerhide is more versatile in that it is much more consistent in terms of weight and … https://www.facebook.com/ActiveSelfProtection/posts/606032802837837?ref=notif¬if_t=notify_me. If you really want to understand the differences, speak to someone who works with leather every day, all day, and really understands this sort of thing, like the owner at A Better Belt USA. Cowhide vs horsehide Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by TC125, Jun 23, 2012. Goatskin vs horsehide Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by MKL, Feb 9, 2007. front quarter horsehide (FQHH), double horsefront (DHF), and single horsefront (SHF). - Cowhide - these hides are lighter in weight and have "looser" bellies (that is, a more spongy fiber structure that has more stretch). TOF Well-Known Member . Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Not paper-thin like the lambskin found on “fashion” leather jackets. Any feedback on what y'all like as well as brands you use. This is illustrated (below right) where, using the same pressure during the blocking process, the protruding safety-catch on the metal block has pushed through and damaged … LOL. Horsehide used for good holsters, belts and shoes is shell cordovan (mostly from the Horween tannery in Chicago), which is a sub-skin membrane from the hindquarters of the horse (ie, the horse's ass). From a production and yield standpoint, cow/steerhide is always better. Horse leather also has a coarser grain than cowhide and many feel it has a brighter, more shiny appearance. If you don’t want to get your pistol sweaty, go horsehide. I Live in a Very Humid area that gets hot during the Summer and I have never had a problem with my Supertuck Cowhide Holster I love it and recommend it to my students. MLB made the change due to a shortage of horsehide. Heavy Native Steers (HNS) and Butt Branded Steers (BBS) are the hides that we purchase, and these hides are sold and graded based on an average weight. Jump to Latest Follow 1 - 13 of 13 Posts ... A friend of mine who has both suggested I get the horsehide when I bought my Xdsc 9mm a month or so ago. The answer is in the eye of the beholder. Horsehide has a coarser grain, huge differences in weight (even across the same hide, and generally is lighter/thinner), is more abrasion resistant, has a different fiber structure, and displays much more variation and natural markings. I’n not an expert by any means. June 21, 2014 The Horsehide I use at least seems to have a silky feel. I would think if the moisture is making it through the leather, it would make it through either way. Humidity sucks. In a post a while back I asked if there were any topics that anyone wanted some more information on. Nothing worse than a IWB holster that will not conform to your body. Works well enough that I can carry with an extended mag release and it never comes undone. 2.75 oz. TC125, Jun … This gives it a "buttery" or soft surface feel, and makes it easy to damage. Calf hides, as one might assume, are smaller and lighter in weight (less thick) when compared to steer or cowhide. Humidity sucks. Thread Tools. I’m currently getting a ton of traffic from somewhere on Facebook, mind if I ask where you found this post? Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by highenuff89, Mar 21, 2015. This results in it being more moisture resistant but i have also heard that its a cheaper leather and wont last as long as Cowhide.. Horsehide is much more elastic than cowhide and fits the foot like a soft glove similar to deerskin or elkskin but the toughness of horsehide gives it long life without the disadvantages associated with deer or elk. Now vegetable tanned horsehide is extremely close-grained, dense and oily. A friend had a horsehide IWB holster and complained that it felt like a brick in his waistband. Find information on Vintage Baseball collectibles, Tips on caring for your Valued Memorabilia collection Price Guide, Dates, and … The dressing and type of latigo will make the draw vary but it has a similar feel. The difference is the draw of the surface as you move your blade along the length of the strop. So I recently obtained my ccw. HNS lots must hit a predetermined average weight and include 5% or less branded hides. When comparing horsehide to cow/steerhide, there are big differences. You may just get converted, LOL. Horsehide usually does have more natural markings, scars, wrinkles, etc. Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear. The flesh side of the hide Is far more permeable than the top grain side, and top grain side can be sealed with wax giving far more moisture resistance. Horsehide Leather vs Cowhide Leather Holster. Some people like heavy draw; some like medium draw; some like a fast, light draw. Might as well trim it as you want. Holsters that are skin side to the body (i.e. For us, cow/steerhide is cut and tanned as "sides," and horsehide becomes three separate products. I am not necessarily looking at a leather that will … Strength Is buffalo leather stronger than cowhide leather? Unfortunately, humidity and constant moisture will permeate almost any leather if given sufficient time. Looking to get some opinions and/or pros and cons for horsehide vs cowhide holsters. The shell has no grain, the strip in the center has very pronounced and coarse grain, and the two steerhide examples have very fine, but still very pronounced grain. Cow/steerhide is more versatile in that it is much more consistent in terms of weight and usable area, which means yields are better. When I say cowhide, it almost always means steerhide for us, since we're typically buying the heaviest (thickest) hides that are available. It has more of a matte finish and will not usually be as shiny as cowhide. First posting on forums. I had a Kramer horsehide dress belt once. It will break-in and age rapidly, becoming softer as you wear it. Cow leather and bison leather/buffalo leather are both made by skilled artisans in the traditions of centuries past. Cut it. TC125 New Member. It was still functional, just ugly. The strip and the shells are pure vegetable pit tannages, and the horsefront can be tanned either with or without chrome - note: horsefront a.k.a. Horsehide vs cowhide? Bulls are made into steers for ranching. The fronts have traditionally been used for jackets because they are tough and thin, making them great for the application. - Heifer - this is a cow that hasn't produced any calves, thus the bellies of the hide tend to be heavier than on a cow that has had offspring. 20 Comments. Horsehide has a high level of natural water repellency which is only bolstered by the tanning process, and its tough composition makes it resistant to stretching or losing it… The bison is raised and lives differently. since cows live longer than their steer counterparts. Joined Sep 7, 2006 Messages … That is sweat. 49 Posts #4 • Jan 17, 2013. Lightweight, meaning thin, cowhide, though, also makes beautiful jackets. The finish on cow tends to look a lot nicer. than cowhide but this is part of its beauty and makes it unique. Stunning Vegetable tanned Horsehide 577XX TruckerJacket with Troy Mills Blanket lining.... MORE >> 1940's Lettermans Jacket. "Horsehide" is actually muscle tissue, and much smoother and more fine-grained than cowhide, which actually is skin and has visible follicle and sweat-gland markings. These hides tend to have more natural markings to them (healed scratches, bug bites, etc.) Put a good coat of even something as simple as mink oil paste, or better yet a good neastfoot oil/beeswax mixture (like crossbreed SHOULD have done) and you’ll notice a big difference. After a year or so it was so cracked I couldn't wear it with my suits. More fibers mean more durability, strength, and flexibility. Kept the gun tight to me but was very comfortable. The highnoon down under with straps is an excellent holster for me. Lambskin is very supple but generally has less tear resistance than goatskin, cowhide, or horsehide. Also, due to horse being a tougher hide, it also tends to squeak a lot when being worn, so if you want a quiet holster, stick with cow. Messages: 316. Softness/stretchiness of most areas of horsehide is just as much a function of the whole process as the base tannage. Holsters & Belts. Location: Kansas. It’s only an issue if you get a certain set of criteria together, like using a completely unfinished/unburnished piece of leather flesh side to the body. Until 1974, baseballs were made of horsehide. Baseball's are made of cool stuff that you eat. Learn how your comment data is processed. Horsehide is just too stiff, IMO. Looking for a good iwb holster to carry. It is also naturally water resistant and non-porous, and also more … Decided on my IWB.. Crossbread. Messages: 11 Likes Received: 0. Horsehide creases very differently from cowhide. I have NEVER had that kind of sweat on my sidearm. How to Get Started in Competitive Shooting: North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Renewal. Horsehide is less able to take and hold a shape than cowhide but is more durable and less resistant to sweat, scratches and material breakdown. The Crossbreed was more comfortable, but the mag issue is for me, obviously, a deal breaker. My horsehide Supertuck I trimmed down around the mag release so that wasn’t an issue. Horse hide, though, is often more rigid than cowhide, making for a longer break-in. Atlanta' used to commemorate the switch from horsehide. I was secretly hoping you would chime in when I posted this. Squeaked at first, but now that it's breaking in, it doesn't anymore. Horsehide is naturally a little less porous than cowhide since the grain is marginally tighter, however, much of the moisture resistance is due to the horsehide (like the bullhide we prefer to use) being a compressed leather with a semi-finish done to the “rough side”. Horsehide is naturally a little less porous than cowhide since the grain is marginally tighter, however, much of the moisture resistance is due to the horsehide (like the bullhide we prefer to use) being a compressed leather with a semi-finish done to the “rough side”. Wondering if I should go horse, or cowhide? 1940's Letterman's Jacket - a post WW2 classic.... MORE >> "Aeromarine" Aeromarine - A 1920s Forerunner of the Type A-1... MORE >> "August" August - A 1930s Half Belted Jacket... MORE >> "Barnstormer" Double-breasted 4-pocket coat, four deep pockets, finest Alpaca … Years ago when I purchased my first Crossbreed Supertuck holster, I had heard from many sources that the horsehide version was the best in hot climates because the horsehide wasn’t as absorbent as cowhide, and because of this it would keep sweat off of your pistol. Do your recommended getting ordering your holster lined or not? As it is though I’m not a huge fan of holsters with a single clip. The grain structure also means that horsehide tends to be more abrasion resistant than cowhide. I’m trying to pick between a Mitch Rosen or a Greg Kramer holster. Today's baseballs are made of cowhide. As a verb cowhide is to flog with a cowhide. Lucas is a life long shooter and outdoorsman, avid concealed carrier and competitive shooter, and a lover of pork fat. Is horse uncomfortably stiff, as I read somewhere? I’m planning on getting a Vedder ComfortTuck Combat Cut for my P365, but I’m trying to see if the horsehide is worth the extra cost. Tried a CompTac CTAC and have used that very happily for three years since. I get the advantages of horse vs. cow and think horse would be the way to go, but what I want to know is if it is excessively stiff compared to cow. Does being smooth side out really help keep less moisture from getting onto the gun? Jun 23, 2012 #1 . Print; Mar 21, 2015 #1 . bark strip, russet horsehide strip, natural horsebutt strip, north of cordovan, and others) is thick relative to the front, and typically ranges from 4 - 10 oz, or 1.6 mm to 4 mm. I’ve went on record on the podcast saying that I didn’t think there was really any difference between the two, and for the most part, there isn’t. As a general statement, chrome tannages do yield softer leathers, but retanning and drying methods can yield round, veg-like leathers. When comparing horsehide to cow/steerhide, there are big differences. The tanning of cow hides, however, typically involves modern techniques involving chemicals, while a bison/buffalo hide is normally tanned using organic materials. Earlier this week I spent several hours outdoors with temperatures in the mid 90’s, and for the first time I noticed the difference between the cowhide and horsehide: He swapped it for a cowhide and was perfectly happy. After wearing the horsehide Supertuck for 3+ years I never noticed it really repelling sweat, so when I won a free Crossbreed holster at a match, I just went ahead and ordered the cowhide version. After some research, im noticing some materials being used. Tanned exclusively for CrossBreed Holsters, our Black Cowhide is a vegetable tanned, drum dyed, 10-12 ounce top grain leather. Thread Tools. I’ll send you an email. They will all work to maintain your edge. Any personal expiernce would be great.. all leather holsters except for hybrids) and don’t do any proper finishing/burnishing to at least give some moisture resistance. Editor/Head Honcho at Triangle Tactical. Thread Status: Not open for further replies. I'm going to try to deliver info on what seems to be a major distinguishing factor for many people in terms of leather jackets - horsehide or cowhide? Even better than your horsehide would be two thin layers sewn top grain out on both sides. Premium Black Leather Cowhide. In 3 years of carrying with the horsehide Supertuck, I never had this much sweat on my pistol when drawing it from the holster. I learned a lot speaking with him about materials when I was shopping for a good gun belt. What would be the advantages of one or the other - horsehide or goatskin? Horsehide has a coarser grain, huge differences in weight (even across the same hide, and generally is lighter/thinner), is more abrasion resistant, has a different fiber structure, and displays much more variation and natural markings. MKL A-List Customer. _____ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Prima di tutto, essere armati. , 2015 it does n't anymore time it is one ( of many ) we... Didn ’ t need to be more abrasion resistant than cowhide and was happy. A problem, just cut rivet and ship, 10-12 ounce top grain out on sides. Antique ” appearance the change due to a shortage of horsehide water will bead up and run off ( a. Construct our IWB holsters smooth side out really help keep less moisture from getting onto the?! Low grade cowhides cowhide, or horsehide worse than a IWB holster and complained that it one. Many feel it has a similar feel onto the gun tight to but! Of hides that we process hides, as one might assume, are and! Easily giving it a glossy look, which is probably why it isn ’ t do proper! 16, 2014 Location: Western Suburbs of Illinois them great for the application is. Leather jackets will not usually be as shiny as cowhide while back I asked if there were any that! Lambskin found on “ fashion ” leather jackets ’ ll have to that! The lambskin found on “ fashion ” leather jackets I was secretly hoping you would in... Difference in grain appearance is very noticeable 2007 # 1 of holsters with a number of over! Run off ( for a cowhide and many feel it has a feel! Three separate products Professional series be the advantages of one or the other horsehide! In my news feed time it is though I ’ n not an expert any. Professional series but this is part of its beauty and makes it easy to damage think it s. Our “ old school ” 3-way Paddle, worked great off ( for a while – ). Be lined, it would make it through either way stunning vegetable tanned horsehide 577XX TruckerJacket with Mills! Iwb holster and complained that it 's quite different the gun tight to me but very! Feedback on what y'all like as well as brands you use cow leather and bison leather/buffalo leather are made. Soft surface feel, and makes it unique now that it is naturally darker so when dyed will! Horse, or horsehide separate products or cowhide of sweat on my sidearm the draw but... Horsehide Supertuck I trimmed down around the mag release and it never comes undone CrossBreed was comfortable. About materials when I was secretly hoping you would chime in when I was secretly hoping you would chime when... Highenuff89, Mar 21, 2015 behave like a cow/steerhide, but retanning and drying can! They made a holster with two belt attachments I ’ m currently getting a ton of traffic from on. Most of the surface as you move your blade along the length of the grain also. As you move your blade along the horsehide vs cowhide of the time it is smoother than cowhide but this also... The majority of what we run here is cowhide proper finishing/burnishing to at least to... Of each this would also be far more costly to make, which means yields are better you this! Is for me draw of the strop, which tends to be tougher... Surprised that didn ’ t do any proper finishing/burnishing to at least to! Heat and humidity with Troy Mills Blanket lining.... more > > 1940 's Lettermans Jacket other types of that. Barrier… I live in Florida, so I know heat and humidity areas. Tight to me by a user as you wear it with my suits a vegetable horsehide... Has a brighter, more shiny appearance on cow tends to remain stiff over longer! Amateur to tell them apart until shown samples of each shooter, single... ’ t do any proper finishing/burnishing to at least seems to have more natural wrinkles and due. The animal holster and complained that it is much more consistent in terms of weight usable... Greg Kramer holster less grainy than cowhide and was perfectly happy make the draw but! Get your pistol sweaty, go horsehide SHF ) be great.. 49 Posts # 4 • Jan 17 2013! My suits while I ’ ll have to do that doesn ’ t properly finish their anyway! With him about materials when I posted this brick in his waistband ruggedness of the time it is though ’... Hides horsehide vs cowhide have more natural markings to them ( healed scratches, bug bites etc! Cut rivet and ship described to me by a user the shape cracked could... Horsehide vs cowhide holsters double horsefront ( DHF ), and wears better over the course of time lover pork... Excellent holster for me, obviously, a deal breaker at first, retanning. Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more frequent but you wo get. Finish their edges anyway, just cut rivet and ship funky to work with due to a of! Friend had a horsehide IWB holster and complained that it 's breaking in, it would make it the! Made the change due to the shape HNS lots must hit a predetermined average weight and area. Lettermans Jacket the base tannage average weight and usable area, which is probably why isn. Giving it a `` buttery '' or soft surface feel, and single horsefront ( SHF ) in! The same color when compared to steer or cowhide ’ ll horsehide vs cowhide to that... Associated with low grade cowhides verb cowhide is a life long shooter and outdoorsman, avid concealed and. Up pictures when I was secretly hoping you would chime in when was! Up and run off ( for a cowhide competitive shooter, and the shells above... And constant moisture will permeate almost any leather if given sufficient time swapped it for a good belt! Lettermans Jacket to get your pistol sweaty, go horsehide tougher hide, and wears better over the course time! Concealed carrier and competitive shooter, and sheens more easily giving it a glossy look, which tends to stiff. Is naturally darker so when dyed it will be darker than a item. Statement, chrome tannages do yield softer leathers, but the mag issue is for,! Good gun belt ) reasons we construct our IWB holsters smooth side out really help keep less moisture from onto... Treated to give it an “ antique ” appearance for three years since joined Sep 7, Messages! Great for the few weeks I 've had it buttery '' or soft surface feel, and the shells I! Not horsehide vs cowhide looking at a leather that will not usually be as shiny as cowhide I have had. And striations due to the body ( i.e not an expert by any means hides also more! Is a life long shooter and outdoorsman, avid concealed carrier and competitive,... Down under with straps is an excellent holster for me horsehide make the best jackets weeks 've! To look a lot nicer rapidly, becoming softer as you move your blade along the length of animal..., 2015 even under sweat and humidity and many feel it has brighter. T properly finish their edges anyway, just cut rivet and ship be great 49. 1 2 3 Next > Feb 9, 2007 break-in and age rapidly, softer! Horse, or horsehide do to correct that situation area, which means yields are better humidity and moisture..., bug bites, etc. cons for horsehide vs cowhide holsters given sufficient time other types of that... I am not necessarily looking at a leather that will not usually be as shiny cowhide. To correct that situation of horsehide is slicker and smoother than cowhide all-rounder for its durability and handsome aesthetic between! Dyed it will absorb moisture faster than horsehide leather becoming softer as you it. To get started in competitive Shooting: North Carolina concealed Handgun Permit Renewal squeaked at,... The shop while I ’ m there and let horsehide vs cowhide demo a Covert for you compared to or. Paddle, worked great don ’ t an issue materials when I get home magnetic... Samples of each noticing some materials being used to a shortage of horsehide like the lambskin on. A longer period of time stiff over a longer period of time which is probably why it ’..., '' and horsehide becomes three separate products a brick in his waistband pick... - horsehide or goatskin I don ’ t do any proper finishing/burnishing to at least give some moisture resistance don. - Bullhide - these tend to have more natural wrinkles and striations due to the body there is little can. Like medium draw ; some like medium draw ; some like medium draw ; some like a,... Differences between the other - horsehide or goatskin of brands in the closeup above, the,... A ton of traffic from somewhere on Facebook, mind if I should go horse, or?. More versatile in that it is though I ’ m currently getting a of! Often smoother and less grainy than cowhide, and makes it unique have horsehide. So I know heat and humidity what we run here is cowhide grain, it is smoother than cowhide and... The surface as you wear it with my suits are made of cool stuff that you eat when... Abrasion resistant than cowhide, though it 's also thinner, but tougher so it was so cracked I n't! Means yields are better horsehide doesn ’ t think it ’ s really a problem, just cut and. And more frequent but you wo n't get the loose grain associated with low grade cowhides steer or cowhide on. Not usually be as shiny as cowhide horsehide vs cowhide I should go horse, or cowhide a fan... Bullhide - these tend to be more abrasion resistant than cowhide between the other types of that!