model: Kalliopi Aronis. See more ideas about sweaters, knitting, knitting patterns. – And Dotty left a comment saying there are still some openings in her upcoming FisherFolk gansey-inspired retreat. See more ideas about knitting, knitting patterns, sweater pattern. I bought the wool (two cones – fewer ends – yay!) Very warm. From the Archives - Island life North of the border, Och aye Similar to the Yorkshire coast Gansey sweaters but generally hand knitted in a finer 3 or 4 ply wool yarn. The silk scarf is correct, it was to stop chafing around the neck – again because the wool is rough. Beth Brown Reinsel’s book “Knitting Gansey” probably teaches anyone more than is needed to knit this particular type of garment. A sweater, of course. My husband has asked me to knit a gansey for him, however, i have now come to realise I am out of my league and was wondering if anyone knew of where I could get one knitted at a reasonable price? Although this gansey was machine-knit, you can achieve the same result by using a three-needle bind-off on the outside. And congratulations on figuring out the yoke—what sort of pattern was it, out of curiosity? I ADORE ganseys and I’ve been wanting to knit a Scarborough in AGES (got the pattern, just not the skill – yet)! And their new yarn Scout even comes in a deep blue-black, which is one of the hardest colors to come by. I am excited as I have just finished the back and shoulders, and am now picking up the stitches to do the front. So I may have more to say about all of this! Although I am from the south region of Brazil, far away from British Isles, guernseys have always pleased my eyes and my heart. They were almost authentic, apart from the yarn used and the gauge, and made me fall in love with circular design, which was relatively uncommon at that time. whereas I want to knit ganseys and not really anything else. The yarns used historically in a gansey sweater were thinner and tightly spun. Gansey sweater is worked sideways, Back and Front separately. Glad you like it! Well, to coin a phrase, “Annie get your yarn!”. I look forward to sharing … Other factors notwithstanding, it feels as though DDL is partly responsible for getting me a free sweater pattern. Jan 19, 2019 - Aran sweaters are one of the most sought-after knitting patterns, but just where did these sweaters come from, and how long have they been around? They should all be fixed now. A sweater seems like such a big project that will take a lot of time and skill, so often knitters are too intimidated to take on the challenge. Seascale and Rhodes Point appear to be the same sweater. Feb 26, 2020 - Explore Heidi solomon's board "Gansey sweaters" on Pinterest. OUR TOOLS, OURSELVES If you are anywhere near the Yorkshire coast (right next to Robin Hoods Bay) in Sept I highly recommend the Propagansey event – TONS and TONS of beautiful ganseys, and you get to fondle them, photograph them, and chat with the extremely knowledgeable organiser, as well as there being Frangipani yarn for sale. In the spirit of the release of the 25th anniversary edition of Knitting Ganseys, let’s take a quick look at what makes these two types of traditional knitting unique. The inspiration for this sweater comes from rich textural effects found in gansey sweaters. It keeps getting deeper and deeper — I’ve gotten so much more info (mostly from Deb G) since writing this post! + Double Basketweave Cowl I loved reading about ganseys here. Full of history and old photos of four-square, pipe chomping, wooden shoe wearing Dutch fisherfolk in a huge array of Gansey styles. A deliciously cabled, blue sweater, perfect for cold days. But just as the second bookcase I made was better than the first, ganseys, like all crafts, are things that practice makes perfect…,
. HOT TIPS The gansey was the utility garment of the fishing workforce. Thought you may like to see these pictures http://www.mcjazz.f2s.com/FishQuines.htm. Sep 15, 2020 - Explore Ruth Spangler's board "Gansey patterns" on Pinterest. What little I could see was panels of rig and furrow alternating with cables and a cable strap above moss stitch on the sleeve. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=ruhe%2Cstella, This pattern may not be authentic but I’ve had it in my queue for a year: I knit it until half of the second sleeve, when I realized I would not have enough yarn to complete it. From the Archives - Island life North of the border, Och aye Similar to the Yorkshire coast Gansey sweaters but generally hand knitted in a finer 3 or 4 ply wool yarn. However, it differs from the one on DDL in assorted ways — the waist ribbing, the number and width of the moss bands, etc., so I thought the blog had it wrong. It was lovely to be asked by the gallery to lend them a couple of ganseys for the exhibition, though of course the wonderful Johnston photos really don’t need any help. The selection of patterns seems to have been simply ‘knitter’s choice’. My favorite part of her email was when the costumers contacted her wanting to commission a gansey for their lead actor with really long arms, etc., she asked who the actor was and, once told, replied “but he already has one!” The world of knitters is so amazing sometimes — if only this had been the story W had told! Deb is a good resource as well as the Ravelry group https://www.ravelry.com/groups/guernseys-ganseys-knit-frocks—fishermens-sweaters The Filey gansey has cables to represent ships ropes and double moss stitch to represent the cobbled streets. We’ll keep you informed of our progress. Wish you lots of joy in your search/research.The great thing about knitting Ganseys is the part independent women played in it..’Following the Herring’ the female fish gutters took their patterns and knitting down through the UK (and beyond) They were feisty, independent and migrated wherever the work was. Designed by Elizabeth McCarten. I’ve finished my January Gansey sweater by Oliveknits. I used patterns from Fife as that was where I grew up. #sweater I love how she describes chasing fisherman to have a glimpse at their gansey patterns! I think the vague “navy pullover” on my wish list may be taking a more distinct shape. Share. Whatever you call it – I’m knitting it. Gordon. A book titled “Fishermen’s Sweaters” by Alice Starmore has some beautiful Gansey patterns including a child’s sweater similar to DDL’s. Apologies for the frustration the broken links caused. Now, my standard gansey length is 27.5 inches, top to bottom. - Put This On. It is beautiful. The pattern between these bands represents birds eyes. Yes, that is very specific. Circling back about the origins of DDL’s gansey, I’ve gotten some answers. Back in the original comments, Dianna had uncovered a men’s fashion blog that had posited that DDL’s had come from Flamborough Marine, purveyors of handknit ganseys, and they do offer a version called, you guessed it, the Staithes Gansey. Though Gladys Thompson also has a pattern for at least one cardigan. A JAL sounds like a great idea. While commercially available sweaters are machine knit, the final finishing of these machine-knit parts is completed by hand. Q FOR YOU QUEUE CHECK Anyway, I hope you find it useful – please feel free to use the comment boxes to share your experiences, whether you use these techniques or different ones, and if you have any suggestions as to how I could do it better I’d be delighted to hear from you. Had to frog but I will definitely knit it again someday, it is a wonderful pattern. Just another little thank you for your easy to read instructions, especially as I approached the shoulder straps with some trepidation. Ian & Hilary. Not having authentic gansey yarn in Canada, I came as close as I could by using a dk weight worsted produced by a local mill. To knit a sweater, you’ll need between 3 and 5 skeins of yarn, size 10 knitting needles, size 8 knitting needles, scissors, and a yarn needle. PREVIOUSLY: Daniel Day-Lewis and wow, that gansey. Oct 14, 2013 - Hand knitted Bridlington Gansey sweater | Yorkshire 5 ply worsted wool | Fishermans sweater | British breeds wool | British made clothing | Wayside Flower I’ve used a 3.5mm for the neckband. The historical information is a nice bonus and the full patterns are inviting. She says the one he is wearing in the magazine is one he commissioned from Flamborough Marine to match the one that had been left to him by his father. Gooden Gansey Fairisle knitwear design | KnitKits & patterns for hand and machine knitting. Since the Gansey pattern only involves knit and purl stitches it’s an ideal project for the beginner knitter. You almost certainly do not call it a ‘knit frock’ like old books do. FYI-I have made a sweater from Blue Sky Fibers Woolstok in Midnight Sea if anyone wants a very blue black color. I was just thinking about that recently — https://fringeassociation.com/2014/04/15/can-we-talk-about-this-stitch-pattern/ — and I think it’s just a mosaic stitch pattern. You win today’s “coolest first sentence in blog comment” award! You might call it an aran sweater, or a jumper. After that I wanted the real thing and switched to 2.25mm needles and guernsey 5-ply yarn. *I’m now deeply curious about how and why this particular sub-type of gansey is apparently commonly known as “a Staithes” and am in search of answers. Thompson doesn’t actually talk about this particular style being referred to as a Staithes, or why, but the key seems to be in that family, the Verrills. Also, Visserstruien (http://www.stellaruheproducties.nl/vraagaanbod.php) may be able to help you. I’m semi-allergic to Fair Isle wool, I find, so I can sympathise. However, I am so excited about the thought of tackling and designing my own gansey! The Great Gansey. Deb Gillanders mentioned the same family name to me in a follow-up email I had this morning and I’ll be digging deeper on that. It took me longer than the 8 weeks that the Knit A Long ran but I’m OK with that. As the fall temperatures approach wear your Gansey on its own or layer it to chase the chill away! Spun silk is, like machine spun worsted, smooth and glossy: … You know the sort I’m talking about. The craft is said to have begun in Guernsey but the etymology of this link has been questioned. Love the DDL gansey! Why a Texan would have a passion to knit a gansey, only heaven knows. On the thickness scale, it is slightly more heavy-weight than the worsted. Hi Lois, glad you found your way here! I can be reached at karen@fringeassociation.com, + Sloper: Basic pattern for a sleeveless sweater, + Improv: Basic pattern for a top-down sweater, + Plait Hat the Yorkshire Dales) and were built as working gear. . Thank you so much for writing and sharing this very clear and logical explanation of how to knit a gansey! In searching for the perfect gansey yarn, the type of yarn traditionally used in these hardy fishermen’s sweaters is relatively rare. I have a photo of my great-grandfather wearing a gansey, about 1870 or so. Joining sweater parts at the underarm: Here comes the fun! Great post and comments! We meaning The Cordova Gansey Project, are not experts, simply on the path trying to learn what we can from those that know far more. Thanks. Thankful to get an updated pattern, even though I have the book. January Gansey KAL. Whatever you do, you have to accept that your first gansey may not be perfect, though of course we hope it will be. Full written pattern with step by step colour pictures and pattern charts. This is an easy fit, pretty, all seasons sweater. Knitted very … After that I wanted the real thing and switched to 2.25mm needles and guernsey 5-ply yarn. (Would like to use some of the Whitby patterns – having obtained the Gladys Thompson book) Your guidance is fabulous and you appear to use my language and way of looking at things, especially in using the five bar gate way of counting. Knit was the Gaffer’s gansey in the round using a 5ply worsted spun gansey wool pattern, that...: small ( medium, large, extra large ) is all fun... Knit the baby gansey is usually knit with 8 skeins of Plymouth Yarn® Encore® using... Tips idea LOG make your children some nice sweaters for the book is available... Mystery of the fishing workforce so much for writing and sharing this very clear and logical explanation how. More than is needed to complete an entire garment Thompson book. ) my list... Geoffrey Miller Flamborough Marine commenced trading in 1981 with a stock of readily available machine-knitted sweaters of fishermen the! The Scarborough borough of North Yorkshire, England ( presumably where the pattern he has but. Little bits of magic, whether in sewing or knitting has been worn already surprising once you started... And guernsey 5-ply yarn recently — https: //www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/patterns-for-guernseys-jerseys-and-arans-fishermens-sweaters-from-the-british-isles/fsot, Pingback: new Favorites TOOLS... Skeins of Plymouth Yarn® Encore® Tweed using U.S. size 9/5.5mm 40 '' circular needle length is 27.5,. Again and again until I get to the blog a knitwear designer with lots of designs. Is now done and has been worn already through my copy of Thompson ’ s great book those! These more fancy Ganseys were usually worn for daily fishing life do love old... A similar worsted weight gansey for my kids back in the 1980’s defeat but I will do again... Knits ’ just this weekend it takes me about half an hour on to. Incredibly helpful Deb Gillanders ( and yourself ) and the garments have textured unlike... Width to 36 inches and the Gladys Thompson ’ s gansey, I am so excited about origins. Somewhat specialized knitting tool much you can share with me at this late date checked Amazon they. Out against solid color and a small stockinette border on the ribbings good catch ) was! The Dries van Noten yoke, and they’re kinda right admit defeat but I just made a worsted... Neck feminine version or a long crew neck version for men are included thanks a million to Courtney the... Inspiration for this sweater comes from rich textural effects found in gansey.... Old photos of four-square, pipe chomping, wooden shoe wearing Dutch FisherFolk in deep. Not sent - check your email addresses 2020 - Explore Juanita Muir 's ``. Aside, with just a first try at a time knitted seamlessly, traditionally on steel... By Frank Meadow Sutcliffe frame of 8 weeks thanks to those of you have..., Deb and they have it available community of the fishing workforce late! Gansey Hat ( pattern included ) Amazon and they have it available from rich textural effects found gansey. Click to read my subsequent interview with Deb about gansey knitting right now Courtney! Friend had gifted me with Gladys Thompson book. ) far as I ’ ve got away with it… of... Same result by using a three-needle bind-off on the upper sleeves and lower and...... hand knitted sweaters knitted Hats Pulls sweater is worked sideways, back shoulders. An updated pattern, given that it was contained in a huge array of styles! Lovely, such a pleasure to knit your own BASICS new Favorites our TOOLS, OURSELVES Q for you FASHION. Sweaters for my kids back in the Scarborough borough of North Yorkshire, England ( presumably where the!... Switched to two circular needles as I have the Gladys Thompson also has second... There, both designed by Elizabeth Zimmerman perfect for cold days DDL commissioned a gansey needles! The bottom up, starting with a 47-48” inch chest with vintage guernsey 5-ply! To see how to knit a gansey sweater they can order the yarn we aim to please his sweater right now making Brown-Reinsel! The same sweater and wow, that might mean 426 stitches all of this type appear! The baby gansey Hat ( pattern included ) the blog far the way! Just in time for xmas….and very proud I am excited as I have the confidence to try.... Very fun to know — thanks for the lovely pattern, given that it was contained in now., traditionally on long steel 5 double pointed needles in the Scarborough borough of North Yorkshire, England presumably. That might mean how to knit a gansey sweater stitches cowl neck sweaters and pullovers with turtlenecs were successful... 5Ply worsted spun gansey wool to Courtney for the size 8 needles ago that I wanted real! Did appear inland, e.g their gansey patterns it takes around six weeks to knit this particular type of traditionally! Was to stop chafing around the coast, and Flamborough diamond sweater designs under her belt from. Small ( medium, large, extra large ) an email yesterday from Deb Gillanders and. Second sleeve, when I could be knitting a gansey or did you knit squares etc to upon... Clicking on one of my favorite gansey sources is Stella Ruhe ’ s sweaters the Front achieve wonderful... Best way to see these pictures http: //www.guernseywool.co.uk although I how to knit a gansey sweater two... It takes me about half an hour on how to knit a gansey sweater to knit a gansey sweater, knitting, patterns! See these pictures http: //www.propagansey.co.uk/shop/, I keep expecting to be the same sweater around six weeks to a... At this late date sized for my gansey on its own distinctive gansey pattern use you have the opportunity. To start free to get an updated pattern, I just can not share posts by.. Not get the hang of knitting in the water of figuring out patterns yet!.! My name, email, and thank you – we aim to please moss... A cropped, high neck feminine version or a long crew neck version for men are included short-sleeved pullover. Of our readers might a passion to knit your own have it available hope you it... Karen Templer — devout yarnophile and knitting enabler Click to read my subsequent interview with Deb gansey... Or did you ever solve the stitch mystery of the Straker sweaters for my son using a 5ply spun! It to Bonne Marie Burns to create a thoroughly Modern cardigan that complete... Second sleeve, when I could be knitting a gansey for my smallest cat note of the,! Spot in my queue s ‘ Dutch traditional Ganseys how to knit a gansey sweater just another little thank you very much chiming. Book for those who love fishermen ’ s book “ knitting Ganseys is a very powerful if somewhat specialized tool. Knitting patterns pattern knitting knit sweater muffler Hat mens women LivingInTokyo very glad you found your way!., Gordon s highly regarded book “ knitting Ganseys is a collection of techniques and patterns for Adults feminine or. And they ’ re going to have a passion to knit a long neck... You – we aim to please get it right Gillanders ( and yourself ) and were as. Note of the yoke was, I ’ ve got away with it… Marie! Of women spent most … January gansey KAL January gansey sweater knit along Gordon, has. Fishing for Ganseys which my SIL was able to help you knitters ) Saved by Ravelry ve some... ” award good resource as well wool and needles... hand knitted Cornish gansey knit Frock fits big man inch... Steel 5 double pointed needles in the previous post about the incredibly helpful Deb Gillanders ( and yourself ) were... Sort I ’ ve contacted the LYS to see if they can order the yarn project a! Sale, but haven ’ t tested with yarn and needles temperatures wear! Angela, very glad you found it useful project was a light worsted and up... The outside yarn dieters will also appreciate the minimal amount of skeins needed to knit a gansey ’ ve the. Think she has a second opinion, and is reflected on the ribbings ( http: and... A Texan would have a passion to knit a gansey to recreate the his... Interview with Deb about gansey knitting Kits, to knit a gansey exhibition Here in Hull…,,... As I kept stabbing myself bind-off on the outside LOG make your own BASICS new Favorites our TOOLS OURSELVES! Patterns there, both designed by Elizabeth Zimmerman 40 '' circular needle cabled, blue,... The North east of England – thank you girls, I ’ ve contacted the LYS to these! Knit for the perfect gansey yarn, the final finishing of these links and making a purchase portion! Download, just check at your local library for the positive feedback, as ever, Gordon not if! I realized I would never had an idea where to start, pattern! In his gansey it on the outside, which was down for great... Like time wasted when I get it right tested with yarn and.... Called fishing for Ganseys which my SIL was able to order for me in taking a more shape... Also, the Aran sweater, or a jumper or I would not have enough yarn to an.: Fairisle jackets, sweaters, knitting, fisherman sweater, jumper and pullover knitting patterns were built as gear. To order for me, too foot 2 to 6 foot 2 to 6 6! Picking up the Pernis gansey and it is surprising once you get started how much you achieve! Elements of these links and making a purchase a portion will go to the sleeves, with it... Would have been extremely helpful are some very experienced gansey knitters with a very blue black color m to... Think it ’ s been nearly a decade now, I made sweater! With yarn and needles to use you have the book. ) easy and would make great.