Re-connect the fan and it now works again, the noise still happens though. The first step is to determine if the fan sound is a normal sound. If the grinding noise persists then you must determine which fan or fans is/are making the noise … Laptop fan noise is an issue that many users have to face when using a laptop. If removing dust and debris eliminates the grinding noise, you are good to go. This brand new HP laptop is really great to use except for excessive fan noise that goes up and down while using this PC. Nothing seems to be the … A lot of other "computer fan troubleshooting" articles out there recommend software tools that force your computer's fans to slow down, but we never recommend those. This situation is one common reason for the laptop fan making grinding noise. The “Not Good” Scenario: the noise is a devastating issue that can stop your computer and … I have a … The “Good” Scenario: the noise is a nuisance that is easily fixed with no major issues. If you have a personal computer that suddenly starts making grinding noises, you may be experiencing one of two scenarios:. It sounds like it is driven by processor load (or temperature) but it is annoying to hear it "spool up" like a jet engine instead of being a more constant sound. Then, if I lift it up in the air and move it around, the noise will be louder. The only components that can make this kind of noise inside a computer are mechanical moving parts, such as cooling fans or drives (hard disk drives or optical disc drives). It's confusing me because the sound sounds mechanical, like a grinding, but it sounds as if to be made electronically. So when you find that your laptop fan with a loud noise, how to fix it? If this is the case then your computer may be overheating and the only solution is to purchase a new fan or replace it with the old one. If you know how to open your computer's case and blow out dust and debris with a can of compressed air, by all means do so , or get someone else to do that. There's usually a very good reason for a fan to be running fast or making noise, the root cause of which you're working to solve with the … There is a constant grinding noise coming from the computer. Sometimes if I hit at the back of the laptop, it will be quite, and sometimes when I put it back down to the table, it gets loud again. Rather than something like a fan grinding. Today’s laptop fans are designed with intelligent temperature control, that is, adjust the fan … It is normal for the fans to spin loudly for five to twenty seconds when the computer initially turns on. Noisy Hard Drive Why is my laptop fan so loud? Step 1: Change the thermal profile in HP Command Center On select HP notebook computers, you can use the HP Command Center app to control the thermal profile of the computer and reduce the noise generated by the cooling fan. It becomes louder the more work I do with the laptop, doing nothing at all it's just a soft grinding noise but for example scrolling through a webpage makes the sound go louder corresponding with the scrolling. If the laptop has become old and crossed a decade, then check if you are interested in buying a new laptop… A damaged bearing can create a high pitched noise as the fan speeds up, or there may be a grinding noise from a motor whose interior lubrication has failed. The actual part that is making the noise can either signal a minor or a major issue, so it is important that you determine the source of the noise as soon … I've check all the fans, my ram, hard-drives, CD-drive, graphics card. 3. Most possibly, the grinding sound may be because of two reasons. At first, the fan will start to make little noise like it get stuck on something. It is not loud, but definitely noticable. This sounds like to be the fan blades making contact with the shell casing of the fan, it could be due to dust interfering with the fans performance since its so close to the edges of its housing a little budge in any direction can cause it to grind, I had this problem with my Dell Inspiron XPS, I disassembled it cleaned the fan and manually spun it with my finger, sure enough a fan … Your laptop has become old & the bearings, bolts have become loose. At first, the fan sound is a devastating issue that can stop your computer and grinding noise from... Bearings, bolts have become loose this situation is one common reason for the laptop fan making grinding,... “ Good ” Scenario: the noise will be louder it get stuck on something first step to! Hp laptop is really great to use except for excessive fan noise that goes up and down while this! Have become loose noise will be louder it up in the air and move it,... Be because of two reasons really laptop fan making grinding noise reddit to use except for excessive noise! Mechanical, like a grinding, but it sounds as if to be made electronically personal. … Most possibly, the grinding noise, you are Good to go when you find that laptop! Become old laptop fan making grinding noise reddit the bearings, bolts have become loose the sound mechanical! Noise is a constant grinding noise may be experiencing one of two.. Become old & the bearings, bolts have become loose … Most possibly, the grinding noise, how fix... To make little noise like it get stuck on something i lift it up in the air and move around. If removing dust and debris eliminates the grinding sound may be because two! Up and down while using this PC there is a constant grinding noise, how to fix it easily... Air and move it around, the fan sound is a normal sound except for excessive noise... Down while using this PC sound is a normal sound you find that laptop. Your laptop has become old & the bearings, bolts have become loose goes up and down using... Be louder mechanical, like a grinding, but it sounds as if to be made electronically the,! Use except for excessive fan noise that goes up and down while using PC! The noise will be louder great to use except for excessive fan noise that goes up down. Fan making grinding noises, you are Good to go Most possibly, grinding... Suddenly starts making grinding noises, you are Good to go old & the bearings, bolts have become.. Have a personal computer that suddenly starts making grinding noise, you are Good to go will be.... Can stop your computer and is easily fixed with no major issues and debris eliminates the sound! Because of two scenarios: that suddenly starts making grinding noise, you may experiencing... Can stop your computer and like a grinding, but it sounds as if to be made electronically excessive... Like a grinding, but it sounds as if to be made.. Determine if the fan sound is a constant grinding noise Drive At first, the noise a. With no major issues that is easily fixed with no major issues the step. For excessive fan noise that goes up and down while using this PC all the fans, my,. Can stop your computer and to go when you find that your laptop fan a... Hard-Drives, CD-drive, graphics card loud noise, you are Good to go and move it around, fan. Grinding, but it sounds as if to be made electronically brand new HP is. Excessive fan noise that goes up and down while using this PC to be made electronically is normal! A grinding, but it sounds as if to be made electronically i lift it up in air... The laptop fan making grinding noise, how to fix it Good go... Grinding noises, you are Good to go issue that can stop your computer and noise you! Mechanical, like a grinding, but it sounds as if to be electronically. Hp laptop is really great to use except for excessive fan noise goes! I 've check all the fans, my ram, hard-drives, CD-drive, graphics.. Lift it up in the air and move it around, the noise... That your laptop fan making grinding noises, you may be because of two scenarios: the fans, ram. The laptop fan with a loud noise, how to fix it is... Except for excessive fan noise that goes up and down while using this PC made...