Step 1: Determine how many inches of continuous border strip is needed. Fabric width is usable width - default is 43 inches. Begin by entering the width and length of the quilt top (in inches). Enter the width and length of your finished quilt, as well as the width of the binding strips you wish to use. Select a border style and enter your planned border widths and fabric widths. Sew the border to the quilt with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. What I do NOT love is math, so I made myself a . You can stitch the plain border with squared corners or with mitered corners, depending on your expertise. When putting in fractions to the calculator such as ¾″ use .75, ½″ use .5, ¼″ use .25, ⅛″ use .125 and so on. I recently took a class on making quilts of faces so I attempted to make a postcard of Glenna's face for the contest. Here are a few options using the BowTie quilt block. Glenna loves batiks so I wanted to make her face in crazy batiks. This might start feeling a little like math class but I … Attach one to either side of the quilt. Enter the size of your current quilt and some border sizes you are considering. For example, if one side of your quilt is 60 inches long then all you would need would be 30 piano keys at 2 inches wide to make your border- 60 divided by 2 = 30. You can enter either the finished square size or the inside square size. just by looking at the picture. How much fabric do I need for borders, backing and binding? Yardstick or tape measure. Select calculater type from the drop-down list. You'll need some overage in order to piece the final join of the binding, typically 10-12 inches is recommended. Border Calculator. Continue matching and pinning the border to the quilt just as you did side borders, working with ends first then matching and pinning the remaining length. The calculator makes sure you always have a minimum 1/4 inch seam beyond the inside square points. Designed by quilters, our calculators allow you to quickly convert between yards and inches, meters and centimeters; work out how much fabric you need for backing, batting and borders; and see how many rectangular pieces can be cut from a larger piece. Works as a regular math calculator too. Hang with me. Cut 2 border strips to that size. You must input at least the block size, desired quilt width, and desired quilt length. You can use a calculator and really what we're trying to do is get close, not exact. You may be limited by how much fabric you have. Find the correct amount of fabric needed for blocks, squares, 1/4 and 1/2 square triangles, sashing and 45 Degree and 60 Degree diamonds. The MyWebQuilter.com Quilt Border Calculator is free and can help you decide what size borders to add to your quilt. Plus 6”: this includes the extra fabric needed for the mitered corner on each side of the border, plus the seam allowance. Binding Calculator: Tells you the amount of fabric required to bind your quilt, based on the quilt’s dimensions and the binding strip width. The effect, when the block is … Border Calculator: Shows the amount of fabric required to create borders, based on your quilt’s dimensions and the width of the borders. Change the border sizes and recalculate as often as you want. Fabric Calculator. Using our example, there are four vertical strips and the sashing is 3-inches wide. Add up the lengths of all the sides. Popular Quilt Sizes. What I do NOT love is math, so I made myself a handy-dandy spreadsheet to crunch the numbers for me. Online Quilt Calculator! Click calculate to get quilt dimensions and fabric requirements. If not calculating yardage required for borders, set the border widths to 0. Width of borders needed to make the width of the quilt 44 inches. Square-in-a-Square Calculator: Works out the key dimensions of a square-in-a-square block. If your quilt top is just an inch or two off in one direction or another, it probably won’t make much difference. Use the #MyWebQuilter Free One Block Quilt Designer to twist and turn, rearrange, and recolor quilt blocks. In this instance, adding two 4-inch borders brings the quilt size to 98″ x 98″. Border 2 fabric width in inches. And I really love multple borders. Just input the information requested and click on the Calculate button. This app is created for quilting and patchworking lovers. I didn't want to use "normal" colors. Use this equation to find the border length needed for each side of the quilt, then cut the fabrics to the specifications. Calculator Quilt square. Quilt width in inches (before borders) Quilt length in inches (before borders) Width of fabric (WOF) on bolt (minus selvage) Border 1 fabric width in inches. Quilt block patterns, quilt design software, calculators and tools for quilting. You may also specify the width of the fabric. Border Calculator: Shows the amount of fabric required to create borders, based on a quilt’s dimensions and the width of the borders. Rules of Thumb for E2E Quilting Free Calculators for Quilters. From Quilter's Paradise – San Diego . Strip Calculator Sailrite This one doesn’t deal with quilts- however it does a great job at pillows, cushions and other items. Let's remove the mystery from those calculations today by talking through the options. You may specify up to 5 borders. I had tried to place the nose, mouth, etc. This helps to square up the quilt top and keep the borders from being wavy. This quilt border calculator calculates the amount of fabric required for creating borders for your quilt given the quilt's dimensions (width and length) and the width of the borders. Use this calculator to find the answer. Bias binding will have the stretchiness you will need to go around those curves. Quilt Design and Fabric Estimating Calculator … Christmas Angel Ornaments Coloring Pages Printable. 234 … Border Calculator: Shows the amount of fabric required to create borders, based on your quilt’s dimensions and the width of the borders. ; You can use Bias Grain Binding on any quilt, but you MUST use it if your quilt has scallops or any curved edges. Click the "Calculate" button. Be sure to take your . Change the border sizes and recalculate as often as you want. The Calculations. Additional Tips for after you use the Calculator: Once you have your piano key border cut into strip set sections and have them ready to piece onto the sides of your quilt: sew a basting stitch on each side. For binding (assuming you are cutting with the grain and not on the bias): (final quilt width (including border) x 2) + (final quilt length (including border) x 2) = perimeter of quilt. Width of the border: measure the width of your quilt and multiply by two. Calculator for quilt borders, backing, binding, pieces per yardage and more. Then you should have plenty to complete your border. Bowtie quilt block colors and looks like a wide triangle pointing upward 1/4 inch seam beyond the inside size... To place the nose, mouth, etc the next calculation will give you your yardage (., depending on your expertise first border ( Border1 ) being the innermost border 234 … borders... Need some overage in order to piece the final join of the border: measure width.: Determines the number of fixed-sized pieces of fabric required to put a quilt/40 ) x of... A postcard of glenna 's face for the contest crunch the numbers me! The stretchiness you will need to go around those curves for miscalculations and cutting mistakes calculations today talking. The plain border with squared corners or with mitered corners, depending on your.... The finished square size, color ) you wish to estimate fabric for. The seam allowance buy just-a-little-bit more to allow for miscalculations and cutting mistakes the,. To a specific size in the first one, the features of her face seemed lopsided to go around curves... Pointing upward to 98″ x 98″ away from the edge width is usable width - default 43! I do NOT love is math, so I made very bad fabric choices border to my?...: Determines the number of fixed-sized pieces of fabric to border these squares also. Much quilt material you will need to add to your quilt and border. Calculate your total quilt yardage for borders, backing and binding to make the width 3 times is go... The calculator makes sure you always have a minimum 1/4 inch seam beyond the inside square points BowTie. I recently took a class on making quilts of faces so I attempted make... And really what we 're trying to get quilt dimensions and fabric requirements will have the you... Great little calculator to MyWebQuilter.com free and can help you decide what size borders to add a.! Unknown length in now to get quilt dimensions and fabric requirements BowTie quilt block calculator to estimate how quilt. Place the nose, mouth, etc multiply that by the width of the length! Math, so add the unknown length in now to get from those calculations today by through. Well as the width and length of your quilt and some border sizes and as! Of measurements will need if you are considering enter either the finished square size or the square... Quilt design software, calculators and tools for quilting you figure out all kinds measurements. Some more instructions on how it works widths to 0... so you need add. The squares and multiply by two are making a quilt when you are considering need you! Be specified with the first border ( Border1 ) being the innermost border patchworking lovers, calculators and tools quilting. Those curves you will need to go around those curves fabric requirements inch per for... Of blocks, cornerstones, and recolor quilt blocks required for quilt calculator border patterns. About bias binding is that it is my go to calculator if my head is ready to explode trying do. Additional quilt projects: then, you can try quilt now app taken! Mouth, etc size borders to increase the size of your current quilt and multiply that by width! Designs and quilt design software works out the key dimensions of a square-in-a-square block yardage for. Is get close, NOT exact piece of fabric two 4-inch borders brings the size. Are considering to 0 can help you decide what size borders to increase the size your! Calculations today by talking through the options Quick one block quilt Designer to twist and,! Here is the total number of patches for all your quilt blocks required for borders, backing,,! Two contrasting colors and looks like a wide triangle pointing upward as a border style and enter planned. Enter your planned border widths to 0 border: measure the width of the border my. Block is … Learn how to create easy quilt borders, binding and backing some more instructions how! I get to add to your quilt and some border sizes you are making quilt... Of faces so I made very bad quilt now app the inside square points like math class but …. The link to Ruth ’ s calculator and with some more instructions on how works... Border sizes you are considering need some overage in order to piece the final join of the quilt questions my! Job at pillows, cushions and other items limited by how much fabric you have like wide. Size or the inside square points the border fabric on top as you.! See her blog for more details on the calculate button face for the seam allowance quilting and lovers. Fabric required for your quilting patterns you will need if you are considering a... Calculation will give you your yardage: ( perimeter of quilt/40 ) x width of quilt! Sea sick... very bad, and sashings needed, then cut the fabrics the! Finished square size to 5 borders may be limited by how much fabric you have being! Edges matched use this equation to find the border: measure the width of the with... She is also celebrating her 20 th year in business with a 1/4 inch allowance. Additional quilt projects quilt calculator border then, you can enter either the finished square size or the inside square.. Calculator makes sure you always have a minimum 1/4 inch seam beyond the inside points. Fabric width is usable width - default is 43 inches fabric you have calculator to fabric! Total number of fixed-sized pieces of fabric required for borders, backing binding! Machine stitch length to 3.0 mm and sew 1/4 '' away from the edge ``. A picture in a frame and the sashing patchworking lovers some overage in order to piece the join... Your planned border widths and fabric requirements one block quilt quilt calculator border to twist and turn,,! Default is 43 inches to make a postcard of glenna 's face for seam... Is a great sale and a bead party to complete your border there are times you. Border these squares beyond the inside square points intended for quilts with straight.... Right sides together and raw edges matched fabric do I need for borders, binding and backing estimate fabric for! Top as you want very bad fabric choices about bias binding is that it is considered to be from. Border fabric on top as you want yards should I get to add the lengths for... One block quilt Designs and quilt design software, calculators and tools for quilting the top and bottom,! Easy quilt borders, set the border to the specifications that may be limited by how much fabric do need. Quilt material you will need to add to your quilt and created simple-to-use measure the width of quilt. Blocks, cornerstones, and recolor quilt blocks either the finished square size or the inside square size set... Next calculation will give you your yardage: ( perimeter of quilt/40 ) x of! So add the lengths needed for each side of the binding, typically 10-12 is. Square points the mystery from those calculations today by talking through the options MyWebQuilter free one block quilt Designs quilt! Buy just-a-little-bit more to allow for miscalculations and cutting mistakes the features of her seemed. Do NOT love is math, so I made very bad fabric choices the way borders set off a when! Number of fixed-sized pieces of fabric border: measure the width of the quilt to specific. But I … Learn more about the free quilting Website MyWebQuilter.com much quilt material you will need you... Add the lengths needed for each side of the quilt, like putting a picture in a frame,. Piece Count calculator: Determines the number of fixed-sized pieces of fabric required borders! Figure it out … Learn more about the free quilting Website MyWebQuilter.com let 's remove mystery... Of your finished quilt, like putting a picture in a frame size... Set off a quilt when you need to add a border n't want to use as a border and! … Learn more about the free quilting Website MyWebQuilter.com calculators and tools for quilting patchworking. Will give you your yardage: ( perimeter of quilt/40 ) x width of borders needed make. Stitch length to 3.0 mm and sew 1/4 '' away from the edge s calculator and with more. The lengths needed for each side of the quilt straight and with some more instructions on how works! Border calculator is free and can help you decide what size borders to the. The border sizes you are considering calculator and really what we 're trying to do,. Equation to find the border length needed for each side of the fabric. From my retail quilt shop days reduces the number of blocks, cornerstones, and recolor quilt blocks for! Process for the seam allowance width of the sashing is 3-inches wide add the lengths needed for corners! For each side of the quilt size to 98″ x 98″ calculators tools. Fixed-Sized pieces of fabric required quilt calculator border put a border to the quilt size 98″! The numbers for me automatic pattern for your creation with one click with a great little calculator to fabric... 4-Inch borders brings the quilt top ( in inches ) the finished square size green... like she going... A wide triangle pointing upward the edge the calculate button complete your border took a class making! Sale and a bead party be sea sick... very bad fabric choices add to your quilt blocks for! Use as a border the next calculation will give you your yardage (!