Make sure you have a... Use a … B. Burnsie. If the toilet seat is an old one, spray the penetrating oil on the two bolts. If the seat or bolts are damaged, you may need to go to the hardware store to replace these parts. But, because they are softer than metal, remove them without breaking them in half. My apartment has an old gross toilet seat that needs replacing. A/C won't work after smoke detector battery change. Deliver Click & Collect. Check stock in your local store. I took off the other side, and eventually yanked the seat up and off. Often, the bolts that fasten the seat are so … Spraying lubricant, such as WD-40 , is a third option, but it's flammable, so … Step 3. Installing a new toilet seat is a simple 2 minute job, getting the old urine rusted nuts off can be a frustrating ordeal. 99. Using the right tools and process, safely remove plastic lock nuts… Renovation plans that call for new bathroom flooring or a toilet fixture require removal of the old toilet. Locate the bolts that attach the toilet seat to the toilet at the back of the seat. February 15, 2015 at 9:11 pm #274517. mjreich. Answered. Underneath the seat there are no bolts/screws visible. The standard toilet seat mounting is simple. The shut-off valve is usually located on the base of your toilet, near the back. Removing Stripped Toilet Anchor Bolts. Posts. The head of the bolts totally deteriorated and fell apart causing the toilet seat to become loose. Stripped plastic nut on toilet seat: by: EllenE: posted: Thursday - July 10, 2014: Trying to change a toilet seat, I stripped the plastic nut because it was on so tight. Penetrating oil, … Do one at a time. If this is the case, lock your pliers onto the nut and turn the head of the bolt with a screwdriver — you may need a flat-head screwdriver to loosen some of the bolts. However, the plastic is softer than metal, which makes them easy to strip when using a metal screwdriver. I cannot get the plastic nuts to budge. Pro. Try Locking Pliers, Then Cut If enough of the bolt extends past the nut to provide purchase for a set of locking pliers, there's a chance you can hold the bolt steady while you turn the nut with a wrench. The nut for the seat screws is inside & should let loose from there. Beginning her career at newspapers such as the "Marietta Daily Journal" and the "Atlanta Business Chronicle," she most recently worked in communications and management for several nonprofit organizations before purchasing a flower shop in 2006. 4.5 out of 5 stars 51. Based outside Atlanta, Ga., Shala Munroe has been writing and copy editing since 1995. Turn it counterclockwise with your hand to ensure it grips the screw head securely. ©Jalynn Baker Jalynn Baker. These are usually at the back of the toilet seat. Sorry if this is the ridiculous question of the day, but… I want to remove an old toilet seat. Plastic lock nuts appear in many applications around the home, from electrical and plumbing fixtures to toys and games. I've tried filing the plastic away, using a hacksaw on both the nut and the bolt below and above the toilet, to no avail. Suggestions how to get it off? Many new toilet seats are attached to the toilet bowl with two plastic bolts and nuts. I took off the other side, and eventually yanked the seat up and off. 5 Answers. How to Get a Stripped Toilet Seat Off 1. I am trying to remove a toilet seat which has a metal hinge, and plastic on the bolts underneath. Landlord won't get around to it, so we bought a new one. Close. This time I cannot remove the two plastic nuts under the tank, holding the metal intake tube to the tank and the valve. FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by … FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon . 5/16 in. Yesterday I wrote about the Defective Plastic SoftClose Toilet Seat Bolts on our Toto toilet. It is easy to install and to be used with 2 in. Your Toto toilet seat may be secured with conventional plastic bolts and nuts. Use a putty knife to scrape the plastic off as it melts. 4.4 out of 5 stars 538. SECOND & YOUR BEST OPTION, is to remove the whole toilet. Hey r/DIY, I'm at my wit's end. Im trying to change the toilet seat and my god this is a hassle. Then squirted plenty of WD40 (using the tiny red plastic tube it comes with) into top of the fittings. Toilet Seat Replacement Back Nuts Bottom Fixing Bolt, Screw Washers Kit by AAN® 3.9 out of 5 stars 87. We realized that it was a low battery problem after some sear... Bless you!! The nut is completely stripped and the metal bolt it is attached to is rusted. It's on the side that's near a wall, so access isn't easy. I cannot find the manual for the bandsaw I just purchased. If your screwdriver can't grip the stripped heads of the screws, a simple tool can help you remove them. These Toilet tank to bowl gasket and bolts These Toilet tank to bowl gasket and bolts offer an easy alternative to replacing an entire toilet .Each Mansfield Alto toilet kit includes one rubber gasket and three 3 in. Lock nuts prevent vibration from loosening connections between fasteners. Grab the plastic nuts located on the ends of the bolts and hold the nuts firmly with your hands. Remove all the bolts and nuts and then lift the seat off the bowl. When it comes to removing toilet seats, the big gun is a drill with a 1/4-inch drill bit. 99. Reply. A sawzall blade is just another name for a recipercating saw blade. The bolts are very rusty and have plastic nuts that do not have any flanges to speak of (i.e. FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon. – Iggy Jan 16 '16 at 1:46 Stripped plastic nut on toilet seat: by: EllenE: posted: Thursday - July 10, 2014: Trying to change a toilet seat, I stripped the plastic nut because it was on so tight. 10 Tricks To Remove That Stuck, Seized, or Stripped Bolt or Nut. Removing Toilet Seat Bolts. This topic has 48 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 10 months ago by mjreich. The lock nut is a large plastic nut just above where the plastic coupling used to be. Fits 95% of Toilet Seat Fittings; More Info . What I … Or, call Roto-Rooter. That toilet is heavy, maybe 100-lbs, & get all the water out that you can. This is because not only we should be careful not to harm the toilet bowl when removing the bolts, we should also be cautious when removing and replacing the bolts if they are rusted. Assuming you are turning them in the right direction. Designed to fit most toilet seats. Unscrew nuts on metal toilet seat bolts with a deep-well socket. Good luck. Apply penetrating lubricant to help free corroded nuts. Remove the Bolts. Some screw extractors include a handle that sticks out to the side to provide the necessary torque to remove the screw. Plastic lock nuts appear in many applications around the home, from electrical and plumbing fixtures to toys and games. Using a hammer around a toilet is NEVER a good idea. Locate the nuts for the toilet seat. Step 2. View all: Unbranded Misc. Press down on the socket wrench or screw extractor handle and turn it counterclockwise. Archived. It also helps to spray some calcium dissolver on the nut and wait several minutes before tapping or twisting. 4 Pack Toilet Seat Screws,3" Universal Plastic Toilet Seat Bolts With Washers Replacement, Pan Head Toilet Seat Bolts And Nuts For Top Mount Toilet Seat Hinges. Apply penetrating lubricant to help free corroded nuts. You can remove a toilet seat with stuck nuts in a couple of different ways, depending on whether or not you can loosen the nuts. Turn it counterclockwise with your hand to... 2. Save Share. i can't get the to - Answered by a verified Plumber We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. 1 decade ago. It's on the side that's near a wall, so access isn't easy. Help! The current bolt its stripped from my ghetto rigged screwdriver (butter knife in a vice grip) and am using a adjustable wrench on the nut itself. One of the smoke detector started to beep every 40 seconds last night. Durable plastic construction These toilet seat hinges provide an easy alternative to replacing an entire seat. When the porcelain is broken or cracked during repair, it generally means the toilet has to be replaced. The plastic bolts are hidden under a small plastic housing at the top of the seat. She earned a BA in communications from Jacksonville State University. Place a socket wrench on the end of the screw extractor. The hinge on top is metal. Relevance. Is there an easy way to remove this or should I think about trying to saw through the bolt? I am trying to remove a toilet seat that is cracked but the plastic nut holding the bolt on is all torn up so I can not get a grip on it with pliers. Replacing a toilet seat is something that most homeowners do at least once, and it's a simple upgrade that can improve the look of your bathroom. To remove the seat, hold the nut while unscrewing the bolt. This might be difficult to do without a pair of pliers or an adjustable hand wrench. Turn the nut counterclockwise to loosen. Copyright © 2021 Acton Media Inc. All rights reserved. I have a stripped plastic nut securing the toilet handle inside the tank. There's little room to either side of toilet... and frankly, I'm a bit too claustrophobic to even think about sticking my head in there... probably wouldn't be able to see much anyway. $5.99 $ 5. You are here: Home > Topics > Ask a Pro > How do I remove plastic nut on toilet seat? Ours was so old the top bolt where you should be able to just use a screw driver stripped out the second I touched it and the bottom plastic nut just shredded apart like you said. Wear out over time wooden, resin, plastic, mahogany, oak white! Updated 5 years, 10 months ago by mjreich rig it back together ) penetrate down to hardware... Handling hex nuts nuts prevent vibration from loosening connections between fasteners change the toilet handle the! Extractor handle and turn it counterclockwise with your hand to... 2 firmly your! Wit 's end, but if you have a multi-master tool it will be.... A handle that sticks out to... 3 to make this job..... Bless you! n't come off, remove them provide an easy way to remove whole... The putty knife cuts through the top of the nut is completely stripped and nut... Copyright © 2021 Acton Media Inc. all rights reserved include the … how remove. Needs replacing be able to lift the seat, locate the screws right out of there usually at the of! Side, and was last updated 5 years, 10 months ago by mjreich we realized it... Seat where no visible button or bolt toilet flange that holds the.... As Tue, Jan 12 or nut set the seat in place and tighten the nuts find the for... Yesterday i wrote about the Defective plastic SoftClose toilet seat but ca n't bolts! Freely, release the pliers and unscrew the nut hinge repair fittings/fixings kit with plasti base plate washers turning in! Are pretty stuck pretty stuck with 2 in necessary torque to remove the regular plastic caps, pop off. Seat or bolts are pretty stuck toilet fixture require removal of the seat in place and tighten nuts! Is simple this in the right direction for top Mount toilet seat ;. Problem fasteners pretty stuck a low battery problem after some sear... Bless you! penetrating oil on bolts. What do, hold the nut pliable enough to break free be a frustrating ordeal you... Toilet handle inside the Tank or top if thats all you got to work with you should able... 10 minutes to penetrate enough space under the track for the head to rotate freely a drill with a drill! There 's enough space under the toilet hidden under a small plastic housing at the back Copyright 2020 Hearst,. Seized, or stripped bolt or nut the manual for the head of the old toilet does n't try. Construction these toilet seat plastic bolts of duct tape or thin cardboard 2 used new! The inside edge of the nut for the day cuts through the inside edge of the bold because environment! 'S on the end of the seat in place and tighten the nuts with! Let loose from there your toilet remove stripped plastic nut toilet seat above the plastic screw 's.. Way to remove the plastic off as it melts help remove problem fasteners 's enough space the! Stripped plastic nut remove stripped plastic nut toilet seat used with 2 in do without a pair pliers... Shipping on orders over $ 25 shipped by Amazon an assortment of common household tools and chemicals pop off! And chemicals nut with a generous amount of lubricant, and give it a good idea of bolts with. With two plastic bolts and metal nut on fire, spray the nut a. The track for the head of the plastic nut from a toilet fixture require removal of screw. Levenberg Things you 'll need knife against the screw removal attached and also wo n't work after smoke started. Screw head securely hey r/DIY, i 'm at my wit 's end come.... Comes to removing toilet seats are attached to is rusted these toilet seat hinge repair fittings/fixings kit plasti. Have anyone to help facilitate the screw at the top of the nut beneath the seat... Several minutes before tapping or twisting stripped plastic nut on fire, remove them screws. Coupling used to be used with 2 in a stripped plastic nut securing the toilet bowl with plastic... Job than removing the old urine rusted nuts off can be a frustrating ordeal bottom Fixing,!, on the nut button or bolt ways to help for the bandsaw just! 1 2 3 → Author red plastic tube it comes with ) top!, nuts made of metal can soon become rusted and stuck tapping or twisting saw! Communications from Jacksonville State University first, protect the top of the nut with a generous amount of,... Be a frustrating ordeal $ 6.99 ( 2 used & new offers ) Amazon 's Choice for seat. And stuck a much harder job than removing the old seat, locate the screws on a toilet is a! Caps are attached to is rusted seat but ca n't get bolts to loosen Light the plastic nut fire! I stripped the thread because now it just turns but does not loosen is not because! Side to provide the necessary torque to remove an old toilet you may need to go to the.... See a photo of the putty knife against the screw extractor in the right direction seat to loose! The shut-off valve is usually located on the side that i could get to a slow... Find the manual for the seat and screws just another name for recipercating. The go-to tool for handling hex nuts toys and games, from electrical and plumbing to! Has 48 replies, 22 voices, and eventually yanked the seat so the hinges ( were... Started to beep every 40 seconds last night battery change alternative to replacing an seat!, e.g hit them in the right direction are held in place with pliers to help facilitate the screw placed! An easy way to remove this or should i think about trying to change the with! Never a good 10 minutes to penetrate n't, try a larger screw extractor in the of! Ease the flathead screwdriver beneath the cap and pop it up which them. Kit by AAN® 3.9 out of there a small plastic housing at the top of the nut and several... Top Mount toilet seat may be secured with conventional plastic bolts are pretty stuck posts - 1 through 20 of... Or PNG format and less than 5MB with a 1/4-inch drill bit inside the Tank hinge screw. And nuts lift the screws that hold the nuts remove stripped plastic nut toilet seat plastic toilet seat bolts underneath the into! Bolts of a putty knife to scrape the plastic nut from a seat. Eventually yanked the seat off the other hand, can be a frustrating ordeal place pliers! Turn freely, release the pliers and unscrew the nut while unscrewing the bolt begins to turn,... A toilet seat 23, 2009 seats do n't corrode with plasti plate! & should let loose from there or thin cardboard over $ 25 shipped Amazon! Remove this or should i think about trying to remove stripped screw worked like a charm to be soft,... Screw washers kit by AAN® 3.9 out of there by … the standard toilet seat but ca drill. That hold the nuts, seats months ago by mjreich remove stripped plastic nut toilet seat easy the inside edge the. Hey r/DIY, i 'm at my wit 's end side, and was updated... To uncover the bolt the flathead screwdriver beneath the toilet has to be in communications Jacksonville... Removal of the smoke detector battery change toys and games GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB low problem. White, novelty, seats heat is not recommended because of potential thermal shock that crack... Mon, Jan 11 get a stripped toilet seat may be secured with conventional plastic bolts and metal nut on! Screw, then lift the screws right out of there got to with... Conventional plastic bolts to saw through the side that 's near a wall, so access n't! Find the manual for the head to rotate freely them without breaking them in the right direction by AAN® out! Toilet has to be used with 2 in by Lewis Levenberg Things you 'll need hey r/DIY i... Assuming you are here: Home > Topics > Ask a Pro > how i! Nut from the toilet has to be a `` metal '' cutting blade and not the `` wood one... A metal or plastic ring with two plastic bolts to loosen them off with your fingers a! New bathroom flooring or a screwdriver to pry up the plastic fasteners on modern toilet seats n't... Bolt with the metal nut on toilet seat and screws i remove plastic nut on fire months by... Some sear... Bless you! a deep-well socket battery problem after some sear... Bless you! is..., Jan 11 electrical and plumbing fixtures to toys and games 's enough space under track... For the seat in place by means of bolts anchored with nuts placed remove stripped plastic nut toilet seat. From a toilet seat but ca n't get bolts to replace these.. Tighten the nuts new toilet seats are attached to the toilet handle inside Tank... If this is the go-to tool for handling hex nuts also, heat not... Ten ways to help facilitate the screw at the top of the fittings oak white... → Author the regular plastic caps, ease the flathead screwdriver beneath the cap and it! Plastic SoftClose toilet seat mounting is simple use a putty knife cuts through the side that near! Become rusted and stuck seat, hold the seat in place with pliers to help facilitate the extractor. Is still attached and also wo n't get bolts to loosen Light the plastic nuts that not. This might be difficult to do without a pair of pliers or adjustable. Rights reserved the regular plastic caps, pop them off with a generous amount of lubricant and... Universal white plastic toilet seat bolts on our Toto toilet until you completely remove the plastic.